Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

"Borelli" Shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Spencer Young, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Spencer Young

Spencer Young Senior member

My coworker accidentally left his dress shoes at home when we were travelling to the client site. He ran to a shoe store and bought a pair of... "Borelli" loafers. He was excited that he found a throwaway pair for $20. I was amused that an ultra-low-end shoe would (approximately) take the name of a brand on the opposite end of the market.

For your consideration and disgust I present to you all:

http://www.rackroomshoes.com/categor...&brand=Borelli

2. darkoak

darkoak Senior member

The "high end" ones have two 'r's - Borrelli.

3. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

The "high end" ones have two 'r's - Borrelli.

Ya but it's the same thing microsoft fights all the time with microsoft vs. mikrosoft, etc. If the low-end borelli were to ever become widespread, it would cheapen the brand imo. I know I don't want people with $40 shoes walking around claiming to own borrelli products. :p

4. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Ya but it's the same thing microsoft fights all the time with microsoft vs. mikrosoft, etc. If the low-end borelli were to ever become widespread, it would cheapen the brand imo. I know I don't want people with $40 shoes walking around claiming to own borrelli products. :p

Why? Is it because, in that case, one would not be able to feel a sense of superiority knowing that some bum is wearing a knockoff?

5. Spencer Young

Spencer Young Senior member

Why? Is it because, in that case, one would not be able to feel a sense of superiority knowing that some bum is wearing a knockoff?

Does it qualify as a knockoff? I'm interested in everyone's opinion on this matter. Let's say there are two scenarios:

1. Borrelli sells shoes and other items based on the founder's last name. Some marketers know of the brand and give their shoes a similar name.
    2. Borrelli sells shoes and other items based on the founder's last name. Some marketers have never heard of Borrelli and decide that "Borelli" sounds like a good Italian name for their shoes.

Is your opinion different in the two scenarios?

6. well-kept

well-kept Senior member

"Not Your Father's Oldsmobille."

7. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Does it qualify as a knockoff? I'm interested in everyone's opinion on this matter. Let's say there are two scenarios:

1. Borrelli sells shoes and other items based on the founder's last name. Some marketers know of the brand and give their shoes a similar name.
    2. Borrelli sells shoes and other items based on the founder's last name. Some marketers have never heard of Borrelli and decide that "Borelli" sounds like a good Italian name for their shoes.

Is your opinion different in the two scenarios?

If you're doing branding for a company, isn't it standard protocol to do some research before you go with a name? If you search for borelli on google, you get sf links, a best of ny guide, etc. 1 minute of reading would have made them aware of the borrelli that we know.

8. Style_Deficit

Style_Deficit Well-Known Member

Germany's largest high-street shoe retailer is called Deichmann.

Their "premium" brand is - IMO blatantly misleadingly - called "Borelli".

Some examples can be seen on this page: http://shop.deichmann.com/is-bin/INT...kAAADjl_cquIbd

Granted, they're Goodyear welted and certainly "somewhat" better quality than the usual crap this chain sells. They even come with a black cloth bag with "Borelli" printed on it. How's that for pretentious?

They retail for approx. 40-50 € (what's that in USD? maybe $40?).

9. johnnyblazini

johnnyblazini Senior member

Its not impossible that its a coincidence.

10. Faded501s

Faded501s Senior member

I hate all the confusion caused by marketing. Some stuff you can call misleading and some stuff is just outright lies. The whole "Borelli" vs "Borrelli" is pretty blatant IMHO. I think I see this more in fashion than anywhere else. [​IMG]