• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borelli shirts on Gilt

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I snagged a Borelli tux shirt today on Gilt. Does anyone know for sure whether this is "real" or "made for Gilt"? It was $179, apparently retailing for about $525. Also, does anyone know what the fit is like on their formal shirts (presumably from 6mos-1yr ago)?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.shopthefinest.com/nsearch...words=borrelli

frown.gif

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
http://www.shopthefinest.com/nsearch...words=borrelli

frown.gif

I wasn't really concerned about the price and whether they were cheaper elsewhere, it was more about whether it was the same quality as what I'd find in any boutique selling the label. And I like the on I got better than the linked, it was a pique bib, spread collar, which wasn't on STF.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
I wasn't really concerned about the price and whether they were cheaper elsewhere, it was more about whether it was the same quality as what I'd find in any boutique selling the label. And I like the on I got better than the linked, it was a pique bib, spread collar, which wasn't on STF.

True that. Anyway, I found Borrelli shirts to be too loose in the waist. I'm not so sure about their formal lines. Also, formal shirts are to be worn under a jacket, so you shouldn't worry about it too much. The quality is, obviously, outstanding. If you are a sucker for handwork and such you will love that shirt. I have no idea if they were made for gilt specifically or not, though.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
True that. Anyway, I found Borrelli shirts to be too loose in the waist. I'm not so sure about their formal lines. Also, formal shirts are to be worn under a jacket, so you shouldn't worry about it too much. The quality is, obviously, outstanding. If you are a sucker for handwork and such you will love that shirt. I have no idea if they were made for gilt specifically or not, though.
How's the fit compare to shirts from RLPL/PRL custom fit/Brooks Bros. slim fit? It's essentially priced the same as the latter two for a formal shirt, and those were the direct competitors. Those two don't fit me perfectly, but I'll forgive a bit in the fit department for Borrelli mainline quality at the same price as PRL/BB. In truth, the arms matter more than the waist, since I can always have darts added, and even if my jacket were to come off, my vest would cover the waist. Plus, I can have a formal shirt fit a tiny bit bigger since that's the one type of shirt I always wear an undershirt with. There is one oddity, though I don't think this should be a deal-killer on a tux shirt: the placket is not the same pique material as the bib, it's the material from the rest of the shirt (though it's not a covered placket). So there's essentially a smooth white stripe running down the front of the shirt. It also claims to be a button front shirt, so not sure if the buttons are removable, but I assume any half decent shirt maker can create stud holes (or at the very least I'll have black MOP buttons put on instead).

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iyorito
Best to avoid.

Please inform why. I am very close to purchasing three of these shirts. If there is something you know I dont, let me know before I make a mistake and feel like
facepalm.gif

iyorito

Reaction score
When they went bust a few years ago, they had to outsource their production elsewhere where they produced much inferior quality shirts compared to the one from their original factory. I hear that the quality had improved somewhat in the recent days, I saw the latest collection in Tokyo last week which I though was not up to their old standard.

The ones at Shop the Finest, the ones wrapped around with ribbons with horizontal booklets/tags, are post bankruptcy which are best to be avoided, the rest, with vertical booklets/tags are the old ones which present great deal. Anyway, in my opinion.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The new ones are not that great compared to the old ones. I personally dont pursue the new ones after knowing "what was".

However for $125 for someone who does not care about the hand stitching, etc. and has never owned an older one, its not that bad. $179? You can do a lot better.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
The new ones are not that great compared to the old ones. I personally dont pursue the new ones after knowing "what was".

However for $125 for someone who does not care about the hand stitching, etc. and has never owned an older one, its not that bad. $179? You can do a lot better.

As long as I plan to shop at Gilt again some time soon, it's only $129, everyone who bought something on that sale received a $50 credit towards a future purchase as well.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iyorito
When they went bust a few years ago, they had to outsource their production elsewhere where they produced much inferior quality shirts compared to the one from their original factory. I hear that the quality had improved somewhat in the recent days, I saw the latest collection in Tokyo last week which I though was not up to their old standard.

The ones at Shop the Finest, the ones wrapped around with ribbons with horizontal booklets/tags, are post bankruptcy which are best to be avoided, the rest, with vertical booklets/tags are the old ones which present great deal. Anyway, in my opinion.

Thank you, that is insightful. I will keep my cash in my wallet and wait for better opportunities.

jreigen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW I have a NWT Borrelli tux shirt size 15.5 on B&S for $95. In case you need to check measurements or something.... .
peepwall[1].gif

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a "new" Borrelli shirt and, from what I can see, it is identical to my older shirts in every detail barring the buttons.

Whilst still MoP, the buttons have become quite a bit thinner, with a different shape. I prefer the old buttons, but it's not a deal breaker.

The collar is still partially hand-stitched and attached by hand, sleeves are still attached by hand, buttonholes still look hand-stitched and so on.

Mine was made for the Euro-market and thus is quite slim-fitting - it's on par with the Barba shirts that I have.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
In general, I would avoid Gilt almost entirely for tailored clothing. They can and do have manufacturers make lower-quality items for them, often without labeling the items as such. I can't comment on Borrelli specifically, but I would not be surprised if it were true in this case. And that's on top of all the other commentary that has already been said about post-bankruptcy Borrelli.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads