• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borelli "Rollback" cuff?

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(here's hoping Vance at Virtual Clothes Horse doesn't mind a sartorial discussion about a product on his site
smile.gif
)

So, having coughed up for one Borelli in Vance's most recent shipment (my first!), I'm still admiring and browsing the ones that are left when I find something I've never seen before: a "rollback" cuff.

I'm hesitant to direct link the pic here so I'll just link to the item: http://www.virtualclotheshorse.com/i...id=11083253317

My first reaction is that it's somewhere between interesting and odd. Does anybody have any experience and/or pics of these in the real world? Also, does it have historical significance or is it just sprezz or maybe a designer gone rogue at the house of Borelli? I'm very curious if anyone can provide more info on it, I did some net searching and couldn't turn up anything at all.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
seen it b4. no big deal. just a different cuff type. diff strokes for diff folks..

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
Try a search for cocktail cuffs - that's what they are more commonly called, unless in Italy where they are 'portafino'.

I have a couple of RTW shirts finished in this way by New & Lingwood and I quite like the unusual look, but wouldn't go out and get anymore.

They are something of an underrated classic - James Bond being there most notable wearer (Connery & Moore) so certainly not a designer fad.

Hope that helps.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is just a stylistic option. We offer it in Phineas Cole MTM as the Euro Cuff

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
connery wore it as james bond if im not mistaken from t&a

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. I have heard of them being referred to as being 'Neapolitan Cuffs'. I have them on a couple of older Finamore's and one Borrelli Shirt. I like them, though find it very uncomfortable to wear them with a watch, (the wrist opening being tighter)...

sellahi22

Reaction score
Why does VCH have such a ****** website? I might be interested in seeing whether there are some interesting bargains but can't get past the horrendous site design.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sellahi22
Why does VCH have such a ****** website? I might be interested in seeing whether there are some interesting bargains but can't get past the horrendous site design.
My guess would be that the margins on such low volume just doesn't justify the cost. That said, given the deals and hard-to-find-stuff, I've come to consider it part of the charm
smile.gif

sellahi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by razl
My guess would be that the margins on such low volume just doesn't justify the cost. That said, given the deals and hard-to-find-stuff, I've come to consider it part of the charm
smile.gif

I don't see the charm. For me, browsing that site is like being inside a room with a putrid odor - I just want to get the hell out.

Merlino

Reaction score
I like wearing them under a sweater because it looks better than a barrel cuff and French cuff is weird under a sweater but that's about it. They're a disaster to wear under a jacket b/c they tend to get stuck behind the sleeve end.

Matt S

Reaction score
I love this type of cuff and own 6 shirts with the type of cuff. I'd consider buying that shirt but I don't like the edge stitching and chest pocket. I usually call it a cocktail cuff. Here is something I wrote about it in my blog:

http://bondclothes.blogspot.com/2010...back-cuff.html

I never have problems with them getting caught inside my sleeves. For the cuff to look right and behave properly all of the corners need to be rounded. Square corners will get caught on the sleeves.

club_collar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
I love this type of cuff and own 6 shirts with the type of cuff. I'd consider buying that shirt but I don't like the edge stitching and chest pocket. I usually call it a cocktail cuff.

I also love the turnback/cocktail/rollback cuff, apart from its many names, i think it adds a little flair and a point of difference to the shirts. I usually wear it under a suit jacket and people don't tend to notice too much as i only have a bit of the cuff peeking out. I like having little details that are subtle but special.

Woodman

Reaction score
I also own about 4 or 5 shirts with turnback cuffs, a mix of Borrelli's and Zilli's.
It has a nice dressy look with a suit, and I don't find any problem with the fit--although I wear a thin watch.
You should try it. The shirts are a deal, and Lance an absolute pleasure to work with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads