• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bored when hit goal weight

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I hit my goal weight, which was 140. I'm a 5'6" male on the wrong side of 30, and I wanted to get back to my college weight, which was where I got the 140 goal. I dropped 37 pounds, which feels great but now I'm kind of bored. Maintaining the 140 is not particularly hard, but I'm not as engaged as I was when I was losing weight and I could see myself slipping and gaining again based on boredom.

How do you know when to stop? How do you stay motivated when you are at a good weight?

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you lifting? Why not work on getting bigger, or if you don't want to do that, stronger?

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, the wrong side of 30 is the lower side
teacha.gif

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could try going to 130, or get fat and then lose it again.

Seriously though, you should channel the motivation into doing stuff you like. Try finding a sport, martial art, or allround physical activity that fits your lifestyle and ambitions. Is there anything you're interested in?

Jsoftz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirGrotius
So, I hit my goal weight, which was 140. I'm a 5'6" male on the wrong side of 30, and I wanted to get back to my college weight, which was where I got the 140 goal. I dropped 37 pounds, which feels great but now I'm kind of bored. Maintaining the 140 is not particularly hard, but I'm not as engaged as I was when I was losing weight and I could see myself slipping and gaining again based on boredom.

How do you know when to stop? How do you stay motivated when you are at a good weight?

Exactly what Munchausen said. I'm in a very similar situation, I'm 5'6" on the other "wrong" side of 30 (25 yrs old) except I dropped 90 to go down from 241 to 150. I always have to be working on something new.. so my new goal is to be able to bench 1.5 and squat/deadlift 2 times my body weight.

Or if you don't like strength training (although I highly recommend it) maybe your goal is to run a marathon or something like that.

juliank

Reaction score
your sitch pretty much mirrored my own. i just lost 40lbs and hit my bf% and muscle mass goal and i got bored. i circumvented that boredom by creating a new challenge. that's what i would recommend. for me it's been yoga, tennis and learning salsa. i still work out consistently to maintain muscle but im not trying to get bigger either so im just focusing on raw strength and flexibility.

alexanduh

Reaction score
bored when you hit your goal weight? why was the goal set in the first place? better self image? --> dude go get some chicks.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I hit my weight and body fat percentage goal, I am going to have a hard enough time staying there with my eating style!

CrimProf

Reaction score
I'm approaching the wrong side of 40 later this year. Over the past several years I dropped from 199 down to 142 (my college weight, but actually slimmer than I was when I was 21). I did it all by running, and was able to get down to my desired weight a couple years ago.

I manage to keep my weight under control because I actually enjoy running and I hate it when I can't go do it. Moreover, I don't want to become a fat-ass again. So that's the only advice I can give--do exercise that you really enjoy doing and, on those days where you feel weak and want to slack, don't forget that the trim build has a price. If you don't pay the price, then it's back to being a fat-ass.

Oh, and I pretty much eat what I want. I don't diet.

Octoberfile

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirGrotius

You know? I was about to attempt to remotivate you into gett'n back on track in trying to stay at that ever elusive "good weight" by showing you some tough luv. I was planning on calling you a worthless, lazy, *****, a chunky monkey, a chubby loser and a ten ton failure....but before I could type a word, I started to get the munchies so I rolled off my chair that ****** has been planted to for several hours and nuked me two pizzas and ate six bagels while those store bought, frozen processed pies were heating in the microwave.....after I got finished chowing those babies down, I started to feel sick and got a stomach ache.....then I felt guilty and really ashamed of myself for being such a gluttonous slob... in fact, I felt so sick and guilty, that I just had to run to the toilet, ram my finger down my throat and hack up all that processed mozzarella and cheap tomato paste, and now I'm typing with vomit dripp'n from my digits ......goddamn it! Leave it to my bulimia to foil every attempt at motivating those in desperate need!

baldy[1].gif

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weight goals can be dangerous.

BF goals are better.

OTOH you need to be careful to not end up with body image issues.

You need to get out of the mindset you're in now. Staying in shape is easy if you have good habits. If you've learned how to eat well and you are staying active you can stay in the 12-15% BF range with no special effort. Staying leaner takes a bit more care.

If you're bored you need to find something you enjoy. Life is too short to do things that bore you. If you don't like the gym but enjoy the outdoors get a backpack and go hiking. Or go swimming. Or run. Or join a sports team. Find something you enjoy.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely finding the most success by enjoying running. I enjoy biking, too. It sounds like it's all about enjoying the process and not the goal. I am petering on the edge of body image issues, though. hahaha. I wonder if 140 at 5'6" is thin enough.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, go for a fitness goal. Maybe run 10k, then go for a half marathon, then a marathon.

yayorc

Reaction score
Well, what did you do to lose all that weight in the first place?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads