• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Booze for a party

reado

Reaction score
Hey

I'm throwing a party in a few weeks and I'm trying to think of what booze I should provide my guests... I'm not a big drinker at all so I'm not sure what types or brands I should buy.

I'm just wondering what people usually would look for at a party and if there are any particular brands that look 'well thought out' instead of just an obvious choice because the company has a lot of ads. For example, i've always heard that for all the money spent on advertising, Absolut isn't really a very good quality vodka (again, I have no clue if that's even true).... what would be a better choice?

I'm also not looking to blow the bank on this party so ideally I'd like it if most bottles were under $40

and I guess i'm looking for a

Vodka
Gin
Rum
Rye
Whisky
Red / White wine

Anyone have any favorites or ideas?

Thanks! and I'll be sure to have one in your honor for your help!

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reado
For example, i've always heard that for all the money spent on advertising, Absolut isn't really a very good quality vodka (again, I have no clue if that's even true).... what would be a better choice?
For vodka, get Stoli. Great value.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It depends on your friends and their tastes. If they're booze-hounds and not too discriminating, then I would go with the following:

Vodka - Stoli, Finlandia
Gin - Tanqueray, Bombay (Sapphire)
Rum - Bacardi black (or silver)
Rye - (why?) - try Tequila instead (Chinaco, Herradura)
Whisky - Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Maker's Mark, Chivas Regal, Crown Royal
Red / White wine - huge number of options. Yellow Tail and Arrogant Frog are failrly inexpensive and decent quality.

If you have picky friends:
Whiskey - Knob Creek, Macallen

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I say quantity over quality applies. Maybe bring along a friend to the liquor store. For example, I would get a 1.75L of Don Q. Cristal rum for less than a .75L of Bacardi. The former is fine, especially as people will be mixing, and then people will be drunk.

reado

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Vodka - Stoli, Finlandia
Gin - Tanqueray, Bombay (Sapphire)
Rum - Bacardi black (or silver)
Rye - (why?) - try Tequila instead (Chinaco, Herradura)
Whisky - Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Maker's Mark, Chivas Regal, Crown Royal
Red / White wine - huge number of options. Yellow Tail and Arrogant Frog are failrly inexpensive and decent quality.

If you have picky friends:
Whiskey - Knob Creek, Macallen

Thanks!

Yeah, I don't think my friends are too picky so these are great. Everyone is in a 'mid-twenties - upper middle class' demographic so they're pretty much used to anything as long as its not total garbage or really expensive

I don't really care about Rye, I just assumed others did! Tequila is a good one though.. I surprised that i forgot about it.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
if us sf members are invited, you better get some macallan single malt 18 year olds, otherwise get the usual.
smile.gif
)

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
bombaywines_1914_19438780
devil.gif
99nanas3xe.jpg
inlove.gif

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Or you could always punt on the hard stuff. For our Christmas party, we always have something sparkling (generally good-value US stuff like Gruet or Roederer Estate), 2 whites (German riesling and something drier and French), and at least one red (good Beajolais and maybe a generic Burgundy). Goes with the food being passed around, and doesn't make the place look like a saloon.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, I have aloways been confused about what Americans call Whiskey and Rye. Here in Alberta they are one in the same, and then we make the distinction for Bourbon.

That said, one fo the recomendations under whiskey was Crown Royal, do you not call this a Rye, as to my knowledge it is not the same as Jack.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally like Skyy Vodka, super smooth and easy to drink, that and it is relatively cheap
If you are mixing drinks I suggest getting a bottle of Cointreau (or Triple Sec if you want to save some bucks), many vodka coctails have a bit of TS or Cointreau in them.

If you want to get fucked up fast then get 99Apples and a bottle of cranberry Juice. Make CranApple Coctails. let me just say that was not one of my finer moments... the throwing up part. Drinking 5 whole coctail glasses full in 15minutes now that was a feat. (btw the shaker was over half full of 99apples and a splash of cranberry)

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
If you want to get fucked up fast then get 99Apples and a bottle of cranberry Juice. Make CranApple Coctails. let me just say that was not one of my finer moments... the throwing up part. Drinking 5 whole coctail glasses full in 15minutes now that was a feat. (btw the shaker was over half full of 99apples and a splash of cranberry)
To all of you outside WA state, this is known as getting "Spokane'd". The next move in sequence is unprotected sex, pregnancy, quickie marriage to someone you can barely tolerate, minimum wage jobs, an inevitable spiral into alcoholic suicidal depression, eating out of the Senior Froggy's dumpster, and shoplifting at the Northtown mall. Get out while you still can!

reado

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
Hmmm, I have aloways been confused about what Americans call Whiskey and Rye. Here in Alberta they are one in the same, and then we make the distinction for Bourbon.

That said, one fo the recomendations under whiskey was Crown Royal, do you not call this a Rye, as to my knowledge it is not the same as Jack.

I'm in Toronto and to be honest I thought they were two different things. I assumed a product like Jack Daniel's would be a whisky while something Canadian Club would be a Rye... but yeah, I have no clue what i'm talking about
laugh.gif

chrysalid

Reaction score
Single Malt Whisky is made with malted barley, whereas rye and grain whiskies are made with rye, corn, wheat or a mixture of. Whisky is Scottish or Scotch (either single malt or blended, which is a blend of malt and grain whiskies) wheres WhiskEy is Irish or American (Canadian).

Anyway, I would get Stolichnaya, Bombay Sapphire, Havana Club Rum, Johnny Walker Black Label (a good catch all blended Scotch that can be drunk neat, though red label or J&B are a tad cheaper and pretty much as good) and probably a bottle of Jack Daniels. It mat also be worth buying a bottle of Dry Vermouth in case anyone fancies a Martini, and it is dirt cheap.

For mixers I would buy plenty of tonic water, some soda water, orange juice, cranberry juice, grapefruit juice, coke, canada dry and maybe lemonade. Also get lots of ice and fresh limes, and if you can be bothered pick up and wash some fresh mint and make up a small jug of sugar syrup (lots of sugar and water, preferably unrefined demerara).

With this mix people can have G&T, V&T, Cuba Libre, Mojito, Screwdriver, Sea Breeze, Jack and Coke, Whisky and Dry, Martini etc etc.

I personally enjoy a Bloody Mary, in which case tomato juice, worcestershire sauce, tobasco sauce and celery salt are crucial, but I'm the only person I know that likes them, and I don't think I can make it to your party.

For red I also just go for whichever Aussie Shiraz looks the best, and dislike white, but would stretch to a bottle of Chablis if I had to. You could try picking up a few bottles of Cava as well for some cheap fizz.

Again depending on the guests and the weather, a jug or two of proper Pimm's and lemonade or dry always looks pretty impressive and is cheapio.

I think that's it.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reado
I'm in Toronto and to be honest I thought they were two different things. I assumed a product like Jack Daniel's would be a whisky while something Canadian Club would be a Rye... but yeah, I have no clue what i'm talking about
laugh.gif

It used to be that rye whisky and Canadian whiskey were considered the same. Rye whisky is made with 51% (or more) rye grains, mixed among corn, barley, and wheat. Canadian whiskey can be rye whiskey, but rye is not necessarily Canadian, and vice versa. In terms of common usage, rye has pretty much fallen out of the vernacular, and on the shelves rye whisky seems to be more of a specialty item, especially since distillers seem to base their marketing on branding and not actual product categories.

Canadian Club and Crown Royal may be rye whiskeys (and worthy additions to any liquor cabinet) but that's not the first name that comes to mind when
discussing these products.

I don't know if anyone has discussed this, but if no one has mentioned ice, be sure to get tons of ice. bags and bags. and limes, definitely limes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads