boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by dhinggok, Mar 13, 2006.

1. dhinggok

dhinggok Senior member

I am looking for a nice pair of boots to wear with a pair of jeans. I would like them to be brown and of top quality. Other than that, I don't know what I want because I know very little about boots. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. dhinggok

dhinggok Senior member

I have seen Varvatos boots and they seem pretty nice. I have heard of something called a "worker boot," but I have no idea what that is and what are the top companies.

3. Torque

Torque Member

Well, I don't know what style you look for, but Chelsea boots are the most popular style currently:

[​IMG]

Chukka boots fit jeans even better in my opinion:
    [​IMG]

Jhodpurs are great boots if you want something a bit more unique:
    [​IMG]

all shown examples are made by Crockett & Jones.

Then there are Motorcycle boots, Cowboy boots, Work boots (Dr. Martens, Timberlands), Hiking boots (Timberlands, Meinl) which all fit to jeans to a certain extent depending on which style you want.

4. wallateer

wallateer Well-Known Member

This is a good thread because I'm also interested in getting a pair of brown chelsea boots for wearing with jeans. Any recommendations?

Of course, I need a brown belt to wear with it as well. So I wouldn't mind hearing about that too. I'm thinking of the Engineered Garments brown belt. I saw a picture of it a while back but I can't seem to find it. You can barely see it on their official website on the model. I just want to make sure before I order, so if somebody can post a good pic, I would be very grateful. And from what I remember Drinkwaters stocks it right?

Peter

5. Babar

Babar Senior member

I'm a big fan of Costume National boots; the distressed ones really look good with jeans. It's just a shame the quality is so-so (my most recent pair developed a tear after just a few months, good I got them dirt cheap at yoox). here they are

6. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

j, can you re-post your Tyrwhitt chelsea success pictures?

7. wallateer

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

This is a good thread because I'm also interested in getting a pair of brown chelsea boots for wearing with jeans. Any recommendations?

Of course, I need a brown belt to wear with it as well. So I wouldn't mind hearing about that too. I'm thinking of the Engineered Garments brown belt. I saw a picture of it a while back but I can't seem to find it. You can barely see it on their official website on the model. I just want to make sure before I order, so if somebody can post a good pic, I would be very grateful. And from what I remember Drinkwaters stocks it right?

Peter

Yeah, Gary stocks the belt - but he is on vacation right now, and the store is closed until next week.
    Fok.

9. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

EG Belt in context:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Charles Tyrwhitt/Loake Chelsea boots, post-antiquing:
    [​IMG]

10. wallateer

Thanks for more pics on the belt, J. You just help me make my mind up [​IMG]

Gorgeous boots too. Where did you buy them? and how much do they run?

11. wallateer

Do those boots usually sell for lower than this this ($206) or is this pretty average price for it?

Peter

12. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Do those boots usually sell for lower than this this ($206) or is this pretty average price for it?

Peter

Got them from Charles Tyrwhitt - someone might be able to give you the link to the 50% off for 1st time customers sale that is usually going on. I got them for about $140 shipped. I warn you, though, that they look very boring when they come in the mail, and to get them looking like that took a bit of work (including a small amount of experience with antiquing). I stripped them with acetone, polished them with various colors of polish, did a Sysdoc-style wetshine to the toes and heels, trimmed down the front edge of the welt to give a slightly squared look to the toes, heel dressed the welts and sole, etc. Then after some wear I cleaned them up and used navy shoe cream in the creases on the instep, and marine cordovan polish on the parts that needed touching up. The result of all that is what you see.

When I got them, they also had some quality issues ("gunk" stuck to various parts of the upper and welt), but I was tired of waiting to wear them, so I just lived with it.

Also, their sizing is off on the site - I ordered a "US 11" which they convert to UK10.5 and it was probably almost/about a half size large. I would recommend sizing down a half size, or if you're unsure between two sizes, going with the smaller.

13. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

14. wallateer

Thanks for the discount link, tiger02. J, I'm gonna get those boots, can you tell me more about the process you went through. The best I could find on the subject was this post. But what you did was obviously different. And also what cream/wax/brush/cleaner did you use? What was the color of cream/wax? AreAllen Edmonds products good enough or do I need something more fancy? Thanks again, Peter Ps. How do you pronounce Tyrwhitt (Ter-whit)?

15. Augusto86

Augusto86 Sean Penn's Mexican love child

Does that first time thing EVER go away?