• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boots with dress suit

ExhibitA

Reaction score
Apologies is this thread has been covered already. I'd like to purchase a captoe shoe, but my favorite is the J. Crew Alden cap toe cordovan (color #8). I'm curious to know if anyone has tried this look and can commit on the draping of dress slacks over the boot.

Thank you!

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The drape will depend on the width of the hem. You'll need a fairly wide, distinctly non-J. Crew-ish hem to get it over.

There are suits you could wear stylishly with those boots, but they're pretty casual (and distinctly wintry, which does you no good based on your location). Tweed, corduroy, some flannels. Even with a flannel (the most business-y of those options), the shoes would take it out of business attire and make it too casual for a wedding.

ExhibitA

Reaction score
I officially reside in Miami Beach, but I travel a lot. I'm often in NYC about 3-4 months out of the year. Other times I'm traveling to London or states in the midwest. At this time, I'm updating my winter wardrobe to deal with travel.

I think I made in error in purchasing the Alden longwing's in black. Great shoe, but I should have gotten the longwing's in brown or color 8 and chose a black captoe or blutcher shoe.

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would make more sense to me. Something like a color #8 LWB and a black captoe bal would be a nice set of shoes to start from. The black LWB isn't bad with a suit or a navy blazer and grays. Were I in your (very nice) shoes, I might think about a plain-toe blucher, a shortwing, or another LWB in color #8, if you're in something more casual than a business suit most of the time.

ExhibitA

Reaction score
I came across this plain toe blucher in brown, but the only caveat is that they are calfskin. I've grown to prefer my dress shoes in cordovan... (decisions, decisions).

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ExhibitA

Reaction score

I think I've found a good option here... Alden 2145.

gambit50

Reaction score
Are you an Alden company man?
Sobe and surrounding areas are not exactly a sartorial paradise(Bal Harbour is good,good for them).
If you are going for shoe/boot with a proper business suit then most of your choices are too casual plus the fact I just do not find them very nice.
But I am not an Alden fan(ignites flames from SF masses) most of the time.
Your latest selection is more along the track though it is still not quite clear if you seek merely a more 'wintry' wardrobe(as opposed to white loafers,espadrilles,suede mocs, etc.) or if this is for a proper business appearance, full suit and all, while in the colder weather.

ExhibitA

Reaction score
I'll be in NYC the entire winter. I'm going for more proper suit, business attire now.

When I'm home in Miami, I wear mostly flip-flops, shorts and polos....

gambit50

Reaction score
Indeed, jeans, low profile kicks and a tee, ie. Sobe black tie, for hitting the town.

Don't fret, I am guilty of the heat/vibe dress down minus the polo even.

Are you buying online?
Maybe just wait to be in NYC.You can try on and then order online if it is less expensive.
Plus much more selection. Not as much as it could be but how many pairs of shoes does one require?
Rhetorical one there.

And there is your budget which I do not know.

I will only be in NYC this week so not much help in the flesh but you can pick out which shops to visit from the forums I think.
Depending on the price point, there is not such a huge number of stores. I just went into an SF fave and thought it 'meh'.
Mostly the selection was limited, not that nothing was nice.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear my Peal & Co Cordovan Boots (captoes) and dress pants with no issues. The Alden boots look a bit casual IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads