• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boots with contrast color elastic gore?

Captain Winky

Reaction score
I've been looking for a brown ankle boot for a while, and came across these:

http://www.amazon.com/Ralph-Lauren-B...193809&sr=1-53

While I know RL isn't the greatest quality, I've been happy with other shoes from them and I like the shape of this one. What does everyone think of the green side gore? I'll be wearing these with jeans, but with skinnier jeans I know the bottom of the goring will show. Will this limit what other colors I can pair with them, or is it something that won't even be noticeable to the most style-conscious out there?

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like them, and chances are your jeans will cover up most/all of the gore anyways right? Also, fun coloured socks have always been a good thing, I don't see anything wrong with a fun coloured gore.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I saw some Tricker's I think they were, on ebay, like that. Not really all that attractive.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
I like them, and chances are your jeans will cover up most/all of the gore anyways right? Also, fun coloured socks have always been a good thing, I don't see anything wrong with a fun coloured gore.

I agree with that completely. However, I alter my socks depending on the rest of the outfit. If I had 50 pairs of boots, and could have a pair to match with other green stuff, then it would be a great addition. However, as my go-to pair of brown Chelseas, my concern is versatility.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I saw some Tricker's I think they were, on ebay, like that. Not really all that attractive.
contrast gore is doable if: (1) the leather color is black, (2) the shoe is otherwise plain (i.e., don't combine this look with a wingtip boot), (3) even further, the rest of your look is sharp but sedate, and (4) you have enough shoes such that you don't wear the contrast gore chelsea often (no more than once a month). I have the Tricker's Lambourn in black with a light purple contrast gore. I also have an older pair of black chelsea boots by Bruno Magli that have the traditional black gore which gets more wear. edit: the browns are tricky; tan shoes are noticeable, and a tan/contrast gore even more so. I'm pretty sure I've seen tricker's in tan/green, but those would be a difficult shoe to wear multiple times....

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
There was a great cognac one with green gore posted in mc a long time ago.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
There was a great cognac one with green gore posted in mc a long time ago.

Were they versatile? Or do they really only work with certain outfits?

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Contrast gore is more versatile in dark neutral color, usually much more subtle. Tan suede with dark brown gore isn't out there at all.
The shoes you posted seem to give off a similar effect as if you were to wear green socks or something.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
Contrast gore is more versatile in dark neutral color, usually much more subtle. Tan suede with dark brown gore isn't out there at all.
The shoes you posted seem to give off a similar effect as if you were to wear green socks or something.

Agreed, which would be fine, but I have very few outfits I'd wear green socks with...

I do think I'm going to add some color to my footwear collection, but am thinking about maybe a navy boat shoe or casual slip-on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads