• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

boots with a suit ??

Tez Mulan

Reaction score
Hi, I normally buy boots for casual wear mostly the nubuck ones they do in Russell & Bromley, and I also have a pair of brown Grensons.

Although two times in past 15-years I have bought dress boots for suits and have to say that on both occassions I have been unhappy - not necessarily with the merchandise but with the overall look - i.e. one pair Jeffrey West, they were very shiny with a crockskin effect, and just didn't look right with the suit (maybe too dressy - and perhaps too chunky!!); and second ocassion I bought a Brogue boot that you slip on and did two straps up on the outside.., one of my work colleagues spotted them as boots straight away despite Brogue design on the apron and said they didnt look right, also my trousers would catch on the straps sometimes when I got up.

Anyway, I popped into RM Williams store in West London recently and have to say I'm tempted to buy a pair of these very 'crafted' and very desirable boots, although I think they're too good for jeans!

Question is, which pair would go with work suit? I like the look of the Stockman, but the straps might be a problem. I'm guessing Balmoral or Henley.

Tez

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the specific boots mentioned; however, balmoral boots look great with a suit. Although I like balmorals a lot and feel they are most appropriate with a suit, I prefer wearing blucher boots. Bluchers are a bit more versatile in that they are not limited to be worn with just suits. I know balmorals can be worn with other clothing, but to me, they look best with a suit where as a blucher, IMO, can go either way. Also, I tend to prefer a clunky shoe/boot, which more often than not is found on a blucher.

Spirit of 69

Reaction score
The only boots I ever wear with a suit are my very slim, narrow rounded toe, black Chelsea boots from Cable & Co. Cowboy boots or anything big and clumpy just looks wrong with a suit.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't wear chelsea boots because of my high instep, but I do wear chukkas with suits. Although my suits are somewhat slim-fit, they are mostly sack suits; thus, I don't mind wearing a clunky shoe with them. I like heavy shoes; although I do wear my sleeker shoes with my slimmer fitting darted suits.

soulstylist

Reaction score
Martin-280707-IV.jpg
I wear those with suits... A sleek city last - barely recogniceable as a boot... Chelseas look better with a narrow trouser leg (and too John Steed for my taste), while all the brogued boots might work with flannel or tweed but not business attire...

soulstylist

Reaction score
...if this question was for me - C+J, Model Villiers...

jcriswel

Reaction score
Yes... boots are most appropriate with suits. It depends on the boots. Ask our friends from Australia how many men wear their RM Williams with their suits to work. If the boot is sufficiently elegant, it can be mixed with a business suit. In most instances, the rule says that you should defer to a lace up (oxford preferred). In the case of whole cut boots, I think an exception can be made because their appearance comes close to a whole cut shoe and the look remains elegant. After all, when we wear our best suits in a business environment, we seek elegance. Some business environments condone the boot (Australia) and others may not notice at all.

Try it out and see what happens. I would recommend against western or roper style boots to accomplish this end.

soulstylist

Reaction score
...right - elegance is it. And so it is more a question of last shape (and colour, leather texture etc) than one of boot or shoe...

Eagle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
I wear my Rider wingtip boots with a suit, on occasion.

Rider now offers a balmoral cap-toe boot that would be absolutely stunning with a suit. I wear both Alden cap-toe and wingtip boots and RM Williams Craftsman and kangaroo hide Jodhpur boots with my suits, as well as with more casual wear.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eagle
Rider now offers a balmoral cap-toe boot that would be absolutely stunning with a suit. I wear both Alden cap-toe and wingtip boots and RM Williams Craftsman and kangaroo hide Jodhpur boots with my suits, as well as with more casual wear.
I agree, the Rider boot is stunning.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads