• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boots, suits and 23 years old.

teacher2

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a 23 year old accounting graduate. I have a navy pin-stripe, a medium grey pin-stripe and a dark charcoal herringbone suit.

I live in a hot part of Australia.

I have a nice pair of Lloyd shoes and a niceish pair of Ben Sherman shoes. I am thinking about adding a pair of boots. Probably Loakes or Lloyds, as they are easier to acquire... but I am going to Sydney in February, so I might be able to have a slightly broader range if I wait till the end of February. That would however, mean purchasing them for myself, as opposed to getting them as a ‘birthday present’.

I’m thinking of a pair like http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Y_MjTFQ3m...Q/oCM6_8121vQ/s1600/Loake+Herring+Chelsea.jpg .
Question:
Is it appropriate to wear the linked Loake boots with all of my suits, even if it is not a wet day, especially given my age? - I worry that I'm not 'old enough' to pull it off.

Thanks heaps.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chelsea boots with a suit is quite a youthful vibe, actually. Think of The Beatles.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi,
I am a 23 year old accounting graduate. I have a navy pin-stripe, a medium grey pin-stripe and a dark charcoal herringbone suit.

I live in a hot part of Australia.

I have a nice pair of Lloyd shoes and a niceish pair of Ben Sherman shoes. I am thinking about adding a pair of boots. Probably Loakes or Lloyds, as they are easier to acquire... but I am going to Sydney in February, so I might be able to have a slightly broader range if I wait till the end of February. That would however, mean purchasing them for myself, as opposed to getting them as a ‘birthday present’.

I’m thinking of a pair like http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Y_MjTFQ3m...Q/oCM6_8121vQ/s1600/Loake+Herring+Chelsea.jpg                 .
Question:
Is it appropriate to wear the linked Loake boots with all of my suits, even if it is not a wet day, especially given my age? - I worry that I'm not 'old enough' to pull it off.

Thanks heaps.

I think chelsea boots with a suit is fine; others might disagree. Don't really think your age comes into it.

A lot of people on here don't care much for black shoes, have you thought about something similar in a dark brown?

For your Australia-specific questions, why not come join the 'party' (I use the word very loosely) at http://www.styleforum.net/t/88856/australian-members/9765

teacher2

Reaction score
Hmmm, I was debating strongly about getting brown shoes as opposed to black boots...

I thought that brown boots was a touch too much (and I haven't seen any in Adelaide)... But what about that? Dark brown boots?

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmmm, I was debating strongly about getting brown shoes as opposed to black boots...

I thought that brown boots was a touch too much (and I haven't seen any in Adelaide)...  But what about that? Dark brown boots?

Absolutely fine, but let's not kid ourselves that you aren't going to still want a pair of brown captoes after you get the boots, and then you'll want some walnut brogues, and then double monks, and then some chukkas and so on and so on.

If the question is "will brown boots go ok with a suit" then the answer is "yes." If the question is "which should I buy, these shoes or these other shoes" then the answer is "it doesn't matter, you'll end up buying them both anyway." :)

Welcome to SF.

teacher2

Reaction score
Thanks all. I'm still listening if anyone has more to say :)

ich_dien, I agree... but, I have two pairs of black shoes at the moment... now the question is, do I add brown shoes, black boots, or brown boots next?... and, can I wear all 3 of those with a navy pin stripe, a medium grey pinstripe or a charcoal herringbone suit :)

The answer seems to be any of those, and yes, can wear any of them with all suits :)

Leaning towards black boots, because I can get them in Adelaide... but, if brown shoes or boots jump out whilst I'm shopping, then I'd be happy to get them instead :)

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black shoes are the most versatile with a suit. They go with any single suit there is, even tweed. Think about how you're going to be using them...for casual as well or simply formal? If you're going to be wearing them casual as well I'd suggest a dark brown suede pair of Chukka boots. Depending on what you do for a living (i'm guessing teaching) then those should be fine and also great for all other occasions.

Last edited:

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They def would work. I'd personally get a dark brown pair. The loops are great for putting on the shoes, but i find it annoying when I sit down and the pants creep up, and then when I stand up to walk around the hem catches on the loop

Oleg

Reaction score

Chelsea boots with a suit is quite a youthful vibe, actually. Think of The Beatles.

half of Australia wears RMs with suits every day. As a former Canberran, I used to have wait for hours in security at the airport as all the politicians had to take their (steel shanked) RMs off for the X-ray.

Naka

Reaction score
I'm 19 and although I don't wear suits often, I wear chestnut R.M's with wool trousers all the time. It's a pretty common occurance in Brisbane.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads