Boots, suits and 23 years old.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by teacher2, Jan 29, 2012.

1. teacher2

teacher2 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I am a 23 year old accounting graduate. I have a navy pin-stripe, a medium grey pin-stripe and a dark charcoal herringbone suit.

I live in a hot part of Australia.

I have a nice pair of Lloyd shoes and a niceish pair of Ben Sherman shoes. I am thinking about adding a pair of boots. Probably Loakes or Lloyds, as they are easier to acquire... but I am going to Sydney in February, so I might be able to have a slightly broader range if I wait till the end of February. That would however, mean purchasing them for myself, as opposed to getting them as a ‘birthday present’.

I’m thinking of a pair like http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Y_MjTFQ3m...Q/oCM6_8121vQ/s1600/Loake+Herring+Chelsea.jpg .
    Question:
    Is it appropriate to wear the linked Loake boots with all of my suits, even if it is not a wet day, especially given my age? - I worry that I'm not 'old enough' to pull it off.

Thanks heaps.

2. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Chelsea boots with a suit is quite a youthful vibe, actually. Think of The Beatles.

3. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

I think chelsea boots with a suit is fine; others might disagree. Don't really think your age comes into it.

A lot of people on here don't care much for black shoes, have you thought about something similar in a dark brown?

For your Australia-specific questions, why not come join the 'party' (I use the word very loosely) at http://www.styleforum.net/t/88856/australian-members/9765

4. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

I agree...

5. teacher2

Hmmm, I was debating strongly about getting brown shoes as opposed to black boots...

I thought that brown boots was a touch too much (and I haven't seen any in Adelaide)... But what about that? Dark brown boots?

6. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Absolutely fine, but let's not kid ourselves that you aren't going to still want a pair of brown captoes after you get the boots, and then you'll want some walnut brogues, and then double monks, and then some chukkas and so on and so on.

If the question is "will brown boots go ok with a suit" then the answer is "yes." If the question is "which should I buy, these shoes or these other shoes" then the answer is "it doesn't matter, you'll end up buying them both anyway." :)

Welcome to SF.

7. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Get the black shoes first.

8. teacher2

Thanks all. I'm still listening if anyone has more to say :)

ich_dien, I agree... but, I have two pairs of black shoes at the moment... now the question is, do I add brown shoes, black boots, or brown boots next?... and, can I wear all 3 of those with a navy pin stripe, a medium grey pinstripe or a charcoal herringbone suit :)

The answer seems to be any of those, and yes, can wear any of them with all suits :)

Leaning towards black boots, because I can get them in Adelaide... but, if brown shoes or boots jump out whilst I'm shopping, then I'd be happy to get them instead :)

9. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Black shoes are the most versatile with a suit. They go with any single suit there is, even tweed. Think about how you're going to be using them...for casual as well or simply formal? If you're going to be wearing them casual as well I'd suggest a dark brown suede pair of Chukka boots. Depending on what you do for a living (i'm guessing teaching) then those should be fine and also great for all other occasions.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  10. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

They def would work. I'd personally get a dark brown pair. The loops are great for putting on the shoes, but i find it annoying when I sit down and the pants creep up, and then when I stand up to walk around the hem catches on the loop

11. Oleg

Oleg Senior member

half of Australia wears RMs with suits every day. As a former Canberran, I used to have wait for hours in security at the airport as all the politicians had to take their (steel shanked) RMs off for the X-ray.

12. Naka

Naka Senior member

I'm 19 and although I don't wear suits often, I wear chestnut R.M's with wool trousers all the time. It's a pretty common occurance in Brisbane.