1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Boots made by Russell Moccasin Company -- experiences

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by auto90403, Jun 6, 2007.

1. catchh

catchh Senior member

The 9 C could be the sizing, I'm a 9 and half in Quoddys. They fit pretty similar to me. But they won't let you order a custom shoe without doing the measurements on the instructions they provide.

2. calidist

calidist Senior member

Thanks for the clarification. I'm going to request a copy your boots sometime soon :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  3. catchh

catchh Senior member

No problem :) You will be very happy with them. They are uncomfortable at first but after a week or two they are super comfy! Just be aware its a long wait for custom orders.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  4. Bill S

Bill S Member

I just discovered this thread. I was planning on ordering a pair of Rancourt Ranger Moccasins but now I'm thinking I might just order a pair of the Russell chukkas instead, even though I the 20 week wait gives me second thoughts. I'll probably end up getting both eventually but I need to decide which to get first.
    If I can find a pair of Russells on their over run/return list I might just go for that but I'm unsure of their sizing. I wear size 10C in the Alden Indy boot so if anyone can tell me what that translates to in Russell's sizing I'd appreciate it.

5. Bill S

Bill S Member

No one?

6. slide13

slide13 Senior member

I'm 11D in TruBalance and have 11E in Russell chukkas. Could probably have gone D though, bought them from existing stock, not custom fit.

7. Bill S

Bill S Member

Thanks. Sounds like the have a similar fit.

8. gorkamartin

gorkamartin New Member

Hey everyone!
    I'm about to order a pair of russells, but I'd appreciate some advise from the experienced ones.
    I'm considering fishing oxfords (comfort and more dress-look) and sporting clays chukka (a bit more performance)

- are fishing oxfords the most comfortable shoe Russell Moccasin makes? Maybe premier walking moccassin?
    - will fishing oxford with weather tuff leather be waterproof enough or should I get the additional double vamp?
    - sporting clays chukka includes double vamp or is it an extra?
    - could rubber midsole be re-soled? do they offer the same waterproofness and durability? I've heard they are way more comfortable than goodyear-welt.
    - best sole comfort/performance (I will use the shoe pretty much everyday but occasionally some trekking).

Any other thought or comment you might have will be welcomed!
    Thanks!
    Gorka

9. rpiotr01

rpiotr01 Well-Known Member

The most comfortable shoes RM makes are the ones custom made for your feet :) I have a pair of Joe's PH, EASILY the most comfortable boot I've ever had. Got mine double-vamp, poron slip sole and Vibram air-bobs. Walked all over with these, back-packed through Armenia this past spring. The double vamp, combined with application of Obenauf's has proven to be about as waterproof as leather can get, so can't say about the weather tuff but double vamp will certainly do the trick.

10. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

I've looked at the Russell catalog and am excited by the custom fitting process. Can anyone suggest a Russell model that would be good for wearing around town, light hiking, and foul weather? I am also considering the Alden 405 with commando sole. I realize that there is probably no real Jack of all trades shoe/boot, but certainly interested in what Russell might have to offer. I can see that Russell doesn't offer anything as refined as the Alden, but certainly interested in a model with the greatest flexibility.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  11. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Just picked these up from Context:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joe's PH II in Horween Peanut Chamois
    Handsewn toe
    True Moccasin construction
    Plantation crepe sole

It's my third pair of Russell Moccasins and I definitely like the look of these PH II's. Kudos to Context for offering this make up. You can find tons of unique RM styles on Japanese websites and blogs, but relatively few in the U.S.

As for the fit -- you know how some boots fit stiff and firm, like you have heavy Frankenstein feet that cannot bend at the ankles or the ball of your foot? This boot is the total opposite: it's VERY soft leather (especially noticeable for me in the very pliable heel area, which provides no discernible support other than the wrapped chamois leather). The "relaxed" fit is accentuated by the very soft crepe sole - it grips with each step but gives (like jello) at the same time. It also feels wide for a "D" width.

It doesn't rub or anything like that (so I guess you could say "it's comfortable out of the box"), but I'm a bit concerned about having sufficient foot stability. Will it conform to my foot over time and fit like a glove? Or is it going to feel even more loose to the point of becoming sloppy? Also, given the width, the toe area isn't particularly forgiving. It's approximately the same length as my other RMs, yet it feels slightly shorter. I notice when I walk downstairs my feet tend to shift to the front of the toe box. Moving down a size definitely isn't an option - it's keep this one and hope for the best or return it.

I'll likely keep them although so far I've been wearing them only indoors.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    2 people like this.
  12. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Couple more pics of my new PH IIs:

[​IMG]

Comparison with RM chukka:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They fit much better after several weeks of wear.

1 person likes this.
  13. Bill S

Bill S Member

I'm about to order a pair of chukkas - either the Art Carter or the Country chukka - but I'm not sure which leather I should go with. I know everyone seems to love chromexcel. I have a pair of Indy boots in chromexcel and my only gripe is how easily it scuffs although most of them will rub out if they're not too deep.
    I want a rugged leather for these chukkas as I'll be wearing them as an everyday shoe and they'll likely take a beating even though I'm generally pretty careful of how I treat my boots.
    How does the French veal compare to chromexcel in terms of durability? Is there another leather that Russell offers that would be a better choice?
    I'm going to order before the end of the week so any input will be appreciated.

14. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

I don't know how easy it is to get the folks at Russel on the phone, but I would really consider contacting them. They offer a range of leathers and are super knowledgeable.

15. Bill S

Bill S Member

I spoke with someone at RM about the virtues of the various leathers. He said the French veal was very durable. More so than most of their other leathers according to him. Lots of art Carters out there that are 15 years old and still going strong. He said there are some landscapers in Texas who wear the art carter chukkas every day and even with all the dirt and repeated soakings they still last for many years.
    So, I'm sending off my order tomorrow. Supposedly "only" a 14 week wait right now.

16. gmmiddle

gmmiddle Well-Known Member

Please post pics. The Art Carter in French Veal are a short list item for me.

I was lucky to find a pair of their chukka's in Kangaroo, and that is a fantastic suede as well.

17. Emixam

Emixam Senior member

has anyone received reply by email from Russell recently ? I sent 3 emails already since the beginning of June and still no reply....

18. Bill S

Bill S Member

Try calling them on the phone. I've gotten through to them every time that way.

1 person likes this.
  19. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Anyone got a working email?

20. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I'm selling a pair of new Art Carter chukkas at half price if anyone is interested.