• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

boots from the 60s

mbloom

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right forum for this or not, but does anyone know the name of 1965-era lace-up shoes or ankle-height boots that were pointy, black, shiny, and possibly with a cuban heel?

I've seen the term winkle picker, but the pictures I've seen of them don't resemble the shoes I remember.

Any pointers to forums on early/mid 1960s, possibly mod, fashion forums would be useful, too.  Thanks.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I knew a lot about the shoe fashions but this one has me stumped, but I will ask my owners who are much older and get back if no answer is provided by Wed.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
fence-climbers?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
winklepickers were more of a 50s shoe and not generally in boot form. i have a pair of George Cox winklepickers and they're prolly not what you're looking for. popular among Teddy Boys of 50s UK sounds like you're describing a lace up chelsea boot. they generally had cuban heels in the mid 60s. if you watch the old Ready Steady Go tv program from UK, you'll see a lot of the lads dancing wearing very smart suits and boots like you're describing. i always thought of chelsea boots as being slip ons with a side zip, but i guess they could be lace ups as well. you could always try the forum at http://www.modculture.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=7 in the "Clothes" section if you want more opinions.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I lusted over these boots in the sixties when the Beatles were making fashion statements such as these and paisley shirts, neru collared shirts and they were coined Beatle boots. They also came with a paisley lining.
I, on the other hand was forced by parent pressure to except classic chukka's and desert boots as the alternative. Pissed me off, big time.
There is a store in the North End of Boston, which for many years has been the stronghold of our Italian community. There is a store there called Varese(sp) and they are known for their boots of this fashion. I was recently told that after many years in business that they would be closing but it would be worth a call to see whats up.

mbloom

Reaction score
winklepickers were more of a 50s shoe and not generally in boot form. Â i have a pair of George Cox winklepickers and they're prolly not what you're looking for. Â popular among Teddy Boys of 50s UK sounds like you're describing a lace up chelsea boot. Â they generally had cuban heels in the mid 60s. Â if you watch the old Ready Steady Go tv program from UK, you'll see a lot of the lads dancing wearing very smart suits and boots like you're describing. Â i always thought of chelsea boots as being slip ons with a side zip, but i guess they could be lace ups as well. you could always try the forum at http://www.modculture.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=7 in the "Clothes" section if you want more opinions.
Thanks for the info on winklepickers, Ready Steady Go, and the modculture site. I'd love to see a Ready Steady Go clip that shows the lads in their suits and boots; don't know if this is on modculture or not. All I've seen so far are stills from several UK shows. A lace up chelsea boot? I'd like to see pictures. Thanks again.

Brian SD

Reaction score
A lot of fashion houses are putting out boots like these nowadays. Check out Yoox for lots of them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads