• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

boots for life (something that can be resoled etc)

elliottw

Reaction score
i hang out in the other forum a lot, and what i love is that with a pair of dress shoes, you can drop 350usd and have a pair for the rest of your life. resoled, re-lasted, etc. are there any streetwear style footwear that could do the same? i'm a pair of leather soled boots might do the trick, but can't find much. i would much rather drop 300 on a pair of long lasting boots rather than on some CPs that will last maybe two years.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Many makers produce goodyear welted boots.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by elliottw
i hang out in the other forum a lot, and what i love is that with a pair of dress shoes, you can drop 350usd and have a pair for the rest of your life. resoled, re-lasted, etc. are there any streetwear style footwear that could do the same? i'm a pair of leather soled boots might do the trick, but can't find much. i would much rather drop 300 on a pair of long lasting boots rather than on some CPs that will last maybe two years.

Shell cordovan Aldens have been raved about lasting for years and years and years.

I think that some custom made Quoddys could last you too. I am intrigued to get them to make me up some high top boat shoes similar to the ones they make for Rogues Gallery.

As for actual sneaker type shoes, doubtful.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Many makers produce goodyear welted boots.

+1. What style are you after?

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
heard good things about h by hudson.

j/k

the new timberland high-end collection seems really solid, as is fiorentini + baker, margiela makes some amazing boots too.

elliottw

Reaction score
since i posted this in the streetwear section, that's exactly the kind of style. i really liked those h by hudson in appearance. tucked, they could pass as dress boots, but pulled out, you definitely get the military feel.

imhotep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
heard good things about h by hudson.

j/k

the new timberland high-end collection seems really solid, as is fiorentini + baker, margiela makes some amazing boots too.

i've heard from a few places that F + B aren't constructed all that well

vivalet

Reaction score
RM Williams.

I bought the gardener and the bass (the bass is now the black gardener) in 1999. I wear them all winter. Wore the brown ones today!

I had them resoled once in 2006 or 7 I think. You send them to the RM Williams store in NYC. They came back looking better than ever. They are fantastic boots. Very comfortable boots.

I would recommend getting the RM Williams saddle dressing for them. You can order them from the NYC Store, which is on E59th or E60th street.

I want to get a pair of dressy boots from them, but I don't dress up, so ....

And if you get them at the link below, you get them for a song. You can laugh at all the people who spend US$ 600 on boots not 1/4 as good.

http://aussiebushhats.com.au/catalog...roducts_id=277

Deluks917

Reaction score
Frye look good imo. I looked at a number of "better" boots but many had too long of a toe-box and made me look like an elf (I'm shorter and not too slim.) Cheap too.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
wings + horns makes a boot close to those h hudson

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^The W+H boot is amazing.. I have the charcoal but I really want the brown version that came out the first season they made them.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
didn't Dr Marten just come out with 'for life' shoes that carry a 'for life' guarantee.

Pablo-T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cchen
Paul Smith. check out the huge thread in this forum

I have owned, and loved, many Paul Smith boots - but they are not boots for life. My last two pairs, I was told, were not Goodyear-welted and could not be resoled. Altho I love Paul Smith products they are made by a variety of manufacturers, so you can't assume every one will last.

You're better off with something like Trickers, which will.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads