• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nader393

Reaction score
Alfred Sargent Montrose boots, that I modified to RiRi zipper closure. Completely reversible.

396B1426-142F-4B38-9718-6140C589C80B.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alfred Sargent Montrose boots, that I modified to RiRi zipper closure. Completely reversible.

View attachment 1183539
This is interesting. I'm fairly certain I see how it works, but it seems like you would have to know your boots fit with the eyelet tab spacing seen above unless there's some extra adjustment or elastic?

Nader393

Reaction score
This is interesting. I'm fairly certain I see how it works, but it seems like you would have to know your boots fit with the eyelet tab spacing seen above unless there's some extra adjustment or elastic?

You are correct. I measured the eye spacing while it was laced up, and fabricated the zipper appliance accordingly. I bought RiRi zipper tape, cut it to size, and sewed it to leather for which I had to punch holes for the brass Chicago screws. It was a big learning experience. For this project, I actually bought a sewing machine strong enough to sew leather, and had to learn how to use it (I've never sewn).

IMG_5484.jpg
IMG_5487.jpg
IMG_5500.jpg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You are correct. I measured the eye spacing while it was laced up, and fabricated the zipper appliance accordingly. I bought RiRi zipper tape, cut it to size, and sewed it to leather for which I had to punch holes for the brass Chicago screws. It was a big learning experience. For this project, I actually bought a sewing machine strong enough to sew leather, and had to learn how to use it (I've never sewn).

View attachment 1183562 View attachment 1183563 View attachment 1183564
Ok, this just got infinitely cooler knowing this was a totally custom fabrication and not some sort of cut-to-fit kit! Well done.

Nader393

Reaction score
Ok, this just got infinitely cooler knowing this was a totally custom fabrication and not some sort of cut-to-fit kit! Well done.

Thanks! Not only was it a learning experience, it was also a minor adventure. Bear with me:

I originally tried sewing the leather on my wife's little travel Bernina sewing machine. It didn't have the muscle and kept getting hung up on the leather pieces. So I needed a stout vintage machine to get the job done. That took some research. It was a toss up between an old Singer 15-91, and a Pfaff 130. I chose the Pfaff because it has zig-zag capability. Sorry for nerding out there. I never imagined myself getting excited over old sewing machines. But they're mechanical, intricate, and satisfying to operate.

Anyway, I bought the old Pfaff 130 sewing machine (vintage '50's) from a retired postal worker who collects and repairs them. He lives across the Puget Sound, and it takes an hour long ferry ride to get there. I have a one-ton diesel truck that I was going to take to retrieve the sewing machine and its cabinet, but I remembered that the ferry charges extra for longer vehicles (it's a crew cab with a long bed). So I decided to take my rickety old '76 Toyota Land Cruiser. All just so I could do this zipper project, because I'm not fond of laces.

IMG_5462.jpg
IMG_5464.jpg

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Not only was it a learning experience, it was also a minor adventure. Bear with me:

I originally tried sewing the leather on my wife's little travel Bernina sewing machine. It didn't have the muscle and kept getting hung up on the leather pieces. So I needed a stout vintage machine to get the job done. That took some research. It was a toss up between an old Singer 15-91, and a Pfaff 130. I chose the Pfaff because it has zig-zag capability. Sorry for nerding out there. I never imagined myself getting excited over old sewing machines. But they're mechanical, intricate, and satisfying to operate.

Anyway, I bought the old Pfaff 130 sewing machine (vintage '50's) from a retired postal worker who collects and repairs them. He lives across the Puget Sound, and it takes an hour long ferry ride to get there. I have a one-ton diesel truck that I was going to take to retrieve the sewing machine and its cabinet, but I remembered that the ferry charges extra for longer vehicles (it's a crew cab with a long bed). So I decided to take my rickety old '76 Toyota Land Cruiser. All just so I could do this zipper project, because I'm not fond of laces.

View attachment 1183590 View attachment 1183591

.....alrighty then....this is taking avoiding the TSA hassle to a new level...lol.

Pretty cool story

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1183562 View attachment 1183563 View attachment 1183564

Totally awesome DIY. I've only tried hand-stitching leather once (for a knife sheath). Never again.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1183590 View attachment 1183591
WAY COOL!!! Not only the sewing machine (I have 10 old Singer "Featherweight" machines and a couple of old Singer other models. I don't know how to sew, wife does and we have a room devoted to her sewing and quilting. But I admire them as machines, and like making them work again, so what you did is monumental in terms of awesomeness! And then to go get it in a REAL Land Cruiser, you just raised the cool factor WAY up there. Well done on all counts!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads