• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stswervus

Reaction score
Thank you.

Always a good idea to try them on in person whenever possible. They do allow you the opportunity to exchange one pair for a different size if you don’t get it right the first time. I personally have a fairly average foot, so generally speaking I‘ve had pretty good luck doing this remotely. Styleforum and retailers who sell better footwear generally fill in the gaps. Their typical wait time is at about 6 months if you not getting their ready to ship or any of the other quicker options, but 6 months for a pair of custom boots and not off the shelf is really not that bad. I’ve waited much longer and when it comes to this class of a boot that’s pretty darn good.

Good luck.
Much appreciated! I'll go through their website with a bit closer eye when I get a chance. And I agree about the wait time. As I've gotten older I've come to appreciate the wait for something as part of the experience. Take care.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark oak and walnut CC Galway this morning

PXL_20230325_135544326.PORTRAIT.jpg

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much appreciated! I'll go through their website with a bit closer eye when I get a chance. And I agree about the wait time. As I've gotten older I've come to appreciate the wait for something as part of the experience. Take care.
You as well.

By the way, even after spending so much time on footwear myself like I have I often find a new boot maker and website can be a bit confusing for awhile until I’ve gone back a few times and figured out their product and how they’ve got the website organized. Besides Nicks and even though it’s been reorganized is still a bit confusing and overwhelming initially in large part due to how they lay out their website. But for me the key things are generally all the same. Determine what Lasts they offer and those sizings which is generally somewhere, determine what their terms are with regards to returns, determine what makes their product unique and various details unique to that brand, determine what categories they offer, and in Nicks case how to navigate their various offerings when it comes to work vs casual, quick ship vs classic and custom. Finding their FAQ a lot of times answers a good bit of my questions. Actually I find the time I spend researching to be well worth it as it helps to ensure I’ve made the best choice possible.

With boot makers such as Nicks I find YouTube can be helpful as well as Styleforum when it comes to sizing, and sometimes the actual boot that I might want to choose. When it comes to a shoemaker such as Edward Green, I really didn’t need YouTube to figure out that I wanted the Galway.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Viberg Service Boot® 310 BCT - Marrone Washed Kangaroo – 10 ½

Viberg 310.jpg

Until this point the 2030 was for the most part the only Last that really appealed to me from Viberg with the exception of their Hiking Boots possibly one day. In fact I would say the 310 Last may have been the last Last I would have ever considered purchasing. What can I say, tastes change, besides the fact the leather on these just caught my eye. Anyway I'm actually surprised how good these fit me. A bit of room in the toe box but other than that a good snug fit when sizing down an entire size as recommended. The leather also makes these boots pretty light as well, so they most certainly be in contrast to the Viberg in 2030 I own and the Whites and Nicks boots as well. There are just some occasions when never doesn't always mean never. I like them, and for me it fills a void in my collection.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whites LTT LOGGER 375 - SPLIT COMMANDO - CINNAMON WAXED FLESH & NATURAL CXL

Whites.jpg

Basically just catching up, but in the last few months I filled a few gaps in my casual boot collection. Put this off mainly because I already had so many boots already. Maybe not as many as a good number here, but more than my two feet can wear. Problem was I didn't have any Whites, Nicks, and I wanted another Viberg. Still might get a Bounty Hunter one day but something about this logger was extremely appealing to me. That and I got that Nicks Boot, and another Viberg, sop now I just need to make a bit more room in the closet.

Stswervus

Reaction score
You as well.

By the way, even after spending so much time on footwear myself like I have I often find a new boot maker and website can be a bit confusing for awhile until I’ve gone back a few times and figured out their product and how they’ve got the website organized. Besides Nicks and even though it’s been reorganized is still a bit confusing and overwhelming initially in large part due to how they lay out their website. But for me the key things are generally all the same. Determine what Lasts they offer and those sizings which is generally somewhere, determine what their terms are with regards to returns, determine what makes their product unique and various details unique to that brand, determine what categories they offer, and in Nicks case how to navigate their various offerings when it comes to work vs casual, quick ship vs classic and custom. Finding their FAQ a lot of times answers a good bit of my questions. Actually I find the time I spend researching to be well worth it as it helps to ensure I’ve made the best choice possible.

With boot makers such as Nicks I find YouTube can be helpful as well as Styleforum when it comes to sizing, and sometimes the actual boot that I might want to choose. When it comes to a shoemaker such as Edward Green, I really didn’t need YouTube to figure out that I wanted the Galway.
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and advice. The boot world is relatively new to me so your wisdom is much appreciated. I've got a pair of Alden shoes I love and now my Tricker's boots. It's been fun to dip a toe in this world so to speak. I'm familiar with the various rabbit holes out there. As an avid watch fan/collector I've learned the general routine. And I really enjoy every facet of the experience. Thanks again!

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and advice. The boot world is relatively new to me so your wisdom is much appreciated. I've got a pair of Alden shoes I love and now my Tricker's boots. It's been fun to dip a toe in this world so to speak. I'm familiar with the various rabbit holes out there. As an avid watch fan/collector I've learned the general routine. And I really enjoy every facet of the experience. Thanks again!
Ah, another thing we share in common. I think when it came to footwear though it took me anyway more time to figure out what all options were possible. Not sure where all your headed but Edward Green and Gaziano and Girling became my favorites. Not only for what they do but I was extremely fortunate I found their footwear appealing but a great fit for me as well.

Good Luck.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nicks Americana vs Redwing Beckman Comparison picture

When discussing the differences between the Nicks Americana and the Redwing Iron Ranger it dawned on me that it might be good to take a comparison picture between my Nicks and my Redwing Beckmans. I don't own an Iron Ranger but the Redwing Beckman is in the same class as the Iron Ranger in regards to leather and construction.

Although there are some things this picture does not depict such as how much better the Nicks is constructed it does depict how much better the stitching is.

Anyway often we may talk about how much better a Nicks or Edward Green is than a Redwing or a Allen Edmonds but often we don't include a picture for those who have yet to see these differences.

Nicks and Redwings 3.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Parkhurst Allen (original last and made in USA) in kudu.

20230326_133710.jpg
20230326_133718.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads