• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boot maintenace day. Very little required other than a quick wipe down and brushing over since, other than the Aldens, these boots haven't seen more than 6 hours of wear in their lifetime. The ridgeways needed a bit more work though, as I managed to get dirt and mud trapped in them. Normally I'd touch up the edges on Radnor, but I didn't bother to do it this morning.

View attachment 1691430 View attachment 1691431
Great collection. LOve them all. Whats the light brownish Galway?

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great collection. LOve them all. Whats the light brownish Galway?
Thank you! It's Enzo Bonafe field boot "Balway" in Armagnac hatchgrain shell cordovan. The color is more of a true brown in real life, but olive and mid brown undertones can come out strong depending on angles and lighting (especially under direct sunlight)

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I figured out they were EB boots.due to the wide welt. I love that model and leather from EB, maybe the pair I like the most from this maker together with the buttoned balmoral boots and my chain stitched split toe boots. The only ¨but¨ of them is precisely that wide welt that gives their shoes a bit of a fishing boat look and wear. Heavier to wear and a bit chunky IMO..

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I figured out they were EB boots.due to the wide welt. I love that model and leather from EB, maybe the pair I like the most from this maker together with the buttoned balmoral boots and my chain stitched split toe boots. The only ¨but¨ of them is precisely that wide welt that gives their shoes a bit of a fishing boat look and wear. Heavier to wear and a bit chunky IMO..

You know it took a while for this particular boot to grow on me, for precisely the reasons you've highlighted here. The combination of ridgeway, storm welt, and double/thick midsole makes for a robust boot. Not exactly what I'd visualized when I signed up for the GMTO. I even listed this pair on BST because I wasn't a fan of the finished product. But after finally wearing them almost a year after I received the boots, I've grown very fond of this pair. If I could redo the makeup I would choose flat welt. Otherwise I really like the boots and they're very distinctive within my boot collection.

Personally, I don't find EB boots to be chunky in general but my three pairs are all on 74945 which is a fairly refined last. I have a color 4 Balway on dainite with storm welt and a color 4 NST boot on double leather soles with flat welt, and both pairs are quite elegant to my eyes.

DSC_0398.JPG
DSC_1071.JPG

Last edited:

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boot maintenace day. Very little required other than a quick wipe down and brushing over since, other than the Aldens, these boots haven't seen more than 6 hours of wear in their lifetime. The ridgeway soles needed a bit more work though, as I managed to get dirt and mud trapped in them. Normally I'd touch up the edges on Radnor, but I didn't bother to do it this morning.

View attachment 1691430 View attachment 1691431

WHHAAATTTT IS THAT BOOT ABOVE, Looks a litle green and tan? WOWOWOWOW

What brand/model

My My

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, what kind of soles do you prefer on your boots?

My preference:

Summer: Single leather or crêpe

Winter: Leather (balmoral boots), Ridgeway (casual boots for hiking) or Dainite studded (casual boots for city wear).

I've recently discovered Vibram's Dainite clones (Vibram Eton) and prefer them over Dainite since they are softer and have more grip as a result.

I am also not very keen on (Itshide) Commando soles anymore; too hard and quite a hassle to clean after a walk in the muddy woods.

By the way, if you want more grip on your leather soles for winter I can highly recommend Vibram Raptor half soles and toplifts. I have them on one of my pairs and saved me from breaking my neck a few times ?

20211025_150407.jpg
20211025_150356.jpg

Attachments

• Catalog_Repair_US_2021.pdf
    10.2 MB · Views: 19

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, what kind of soles do you prefer on your boots?

My preference:

Summer: Single leather or crêpe

Winter: Leather (balmoral boots), Ridgeway (casual boots for hiking) or Dainite studded (casual boots for city wear).

I've recently discovered Vibram's Dainite clones (Vibram Eton) and prefer them over Dainite since they are softer and have more grip as a result.

I am also not very keen on (Itshide) Commando soles anymore; too hard and quite a hassle to clean after a walk in the muddy woods.

By the way, if you want more grip on your leather soles for winter I can highly recommend Vibram Raptor half soles and toplifts. I have them on one of my pairs and saved me from breaking my neck a few times ?

View attachment 1691792 View attachment 1691793
Double leather for the most part. Ridgeway or EG's R2 sole is behind that. We don't get much winter weather here so rubber in the rain and leather all other times for me work just fine.

Not much of a rubber studded guy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads