• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Favorite boots ever.
F973AEFF-83CE-41A1-BE4E-84C12B3701F4.jpeg
2DBB9B4D-BE57-46A9-9D25-B2C02E632636.jpeg

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the boot cognoscenti. My new C&J Islay are great. I, however, have noticed one oddity. The tongue on the right boot insists on rotating outwards as I wear it. I'll put the boot on, take extra care to center the tongue and then cinch the top speed hooks tight, yet after an hour's wear, the damned thing has literally rotated all way to the outward side of the boot.

These are my first tall leather boots, and I'm downright perplexed. Left boot tongue remains exactly where I laced it up for the entire wear.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the boot cognoscenti. My new C&J Islay are great. I, however, have noticed one oddity. The tongue on the right boot insists on rotating outwards as I wear it. I'll put the boot on, take extra care to center the tongue and then cinch the top speed hooks tight, yet after an hour's wear, the damned thing has literally rotated all way to the outward side of the boot.

These are my first tall leather boots, and I'm downright perplexed. Left boot tongue remains exactly where I laced it up for the entire wear.
It’s one of those problems that many who are boot lovers will eventually come across. Each time I post this I apologize profusely to the original poster, because I don’t remember their name. But their technique to eliminate this is genius, see below.

Pinning Rouge Boot Tongue in place

Pinning the tongue is a 5 minute job if you have the right tools.

It is a 15 minute job if you dont. But it is easy. The critical thing is to have nylon thread instead if the cotton thread you usually find in sewing kits.

Doesnt have to be thick...just strong. You will need some pliers to push and pull through the leather. Did my tankers just now....first pic is before, last is after. I went in and out on the original seam and tied the knot between the shoe and the tongue

Attachments

Image.png

Image_1.png

Image_2.png

Image_3.png

Image_4.png

Beach Bum

Reaction score

That sucks. CJ quality control issue. I have one Coniston boot that does that, annoying but I forget about it. None of my other boots including two other CJ pairs do that.

Then I tried another pair on at a CJ store a few years ago and same thing, tongue always slipped to side and my sock was hitting the laces.

Have to live with it. I've heard of people stiching the tongue to one side but I wouldn't mess with it.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to re-lace my Conistons. Any recommendations on boot laces?

Hurlazza4

Reaction score

I had a similar problem with a pair of Tricker's Balmoral boots (fortunately I haven't had the problem with my Islays). My cobbler did something similar to the post above which fixed the problem. The key difference is that the cobbler placed the stitching further down the tongue. I doubt that the stitching needs to be high on the tongue to solve the problem and so it is probably a better idea to do it lower.

It did take two goes to get it right. For some reason when the stitching was done on one side then the base of the tongue was able to fold inwards and cause discomfort. Once the stitching was moved to the other side I had no further problems.

This should be an easy fix for any good cobbler. You certainly don't have to just live with the problem. The tongue on the Islay boots is quite thin and so is likely folding at the base which then allows it to drift across and down your ankle. The more it happens the more supple the base of the tongue will get and the more it will happen. I'd get it fixed as soon as you can.

CZZ300

Reaction score
Red Wing boots are not often featured here; perhaps they are not generally considered gentlemanly ? herewith a pair of slate blue Abilene round toe which I just bought used at a very attractive price. A bIt of cleaning of the crepe sole they are like new. The color is so autumn in my view.
D6C432EE-1265-410B-8614-11293E350FB6.jpeg

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s one of those problems that many who are boot lovers will eventually come across. Each time I post this I apologize profusely to the original poster, because I don’t remember their name. But their technique to eliminate this is genius, see below.

Pinning Rouge Boot Tongue in place

Pinning the tongue is a 5 minute job if you have the right tools.

It is a 15 minute job if you dont. But it is easy. The critical thing is to have nylon thread instead if the cotton thread you usually find in sewing kits.

Doesnt have to be thick...just strong. You will need some pliers to push and pull through the leather. Did my tankers just now....first pic is before, last is after. I went in and out on the original seam and tied the knot between the shoe and the tongue

Attachments

View attachment 1690002

View attachment 1690000

View attachment 1689999

View attachment 1690001

View attachment 1690003

Very Recognizable indeed. Had my cobbler stitch the tongue to the sides on a few pairs to.

If you have derby boots the solution below also works. In this case the tongue won't be fixed to one side:

20211022_091921.jpg
20211022_091932.jpg

aquatherm

Reaction score
Boots purchased this year. RM Williams Gardener and C&J Eskdale 2. Wife and stepson bought the Eskdale for me in the summer and I just bought the RMWs a few days ago.

Its not so apparent in the pictures but both are the same size however the C&J looks at least half size bigger and wider. When I bought the C&J it was very snug on the instep but length and width felt good. It's just about broken in now and feels comfortable and feet is not sliding around (yet). RM feel snug but not uncomfortable so should be perfect once broken in. Leather feels thinner somehow though. So although it's not a complaint I'm just at a loss how shoes can appear this different but fit the same.

Anyone else experienced this?

Attachments

• 20211021_213040.jpg
    20211021_213040.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 54

basu13

Reaction score
Its not so apparent in the pictures but both are the same size however the C&J looks at least half size bigger and wider.

Anyone else experienced this?

Not aware of the technicalities. But it's possible that the interior of the shoes are of similar volumes- which in turn would mean that even though one looks outwardly bigger, the inside proportions of both shoes are very similar, thereby leading them to fit similarly. In other words, the last around which the interiors are shaped might be of similar volume/dimensions.

Outwardly, they may be shaped and look very different, especially if they are of different styles- like a Chelsea and lace up boot in this case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads