• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Monroe heritage natty cxl
CB8BEF23-CE54-4164-A9CD-64E67488885C.jpeg

oskrusa

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Somehow, I have ended up with strikingly similar pairs from two different makers, and one of them would have to go. One thing to point out, I am currently in Miami and after two months living here, we have decided to move back North next year, so, I might simply keep the one pair that is more versatile and that can be dressed up or down in colder weather.

What do you folks think?

Alden Ravello on the Plaza last (pair on the left) and Carmina Color 4 on the Detroit last

Sunlight:
1-sunlight.jpg

2-sunlight.jpg

Shade:
1-shade.jpg

2-shade.jpg

Adhazem

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Somehow, I have ended up with strikingly similar pairs from two different makers, and one of them would have to go. One thing to point out, I am currently in Miami and after two months living here, we have decided to move back North next year, so, I might simply keep the one pair that is more versatile and that can be dressed up or down in colder weather.

What do you folks think?

Alden Ravello on the Plaza last (pair on the left) and Carmina Color 4 on the Detroit last

Sunlight:
View attachment 1673811

View attachment 1673812

Shade:
View attachment 1673814
View attachment 1673815
Hmmm I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer. I like the speed hooks on the Alden but that’s an easy mod at your cobbler. To my eye, and this is very subjective I like the Carmina silhouette better. It just looks a touch more elegant. It really is splitting hairs as both are nice boots.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

What do you folks think?

Sunlight:
View attachment 1673811

View attachment 1673812

Shade:
View attachment 1673814
View attachment 1673815
Beautiful! Fit is King. Whichever pair is the most comfortable.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

What do you folks think?

Sunlight:
View attachment 1673811

View attachment 1673812

Shade:
View attachment 1673814
View attachment 1673815
What sole do you have on Carmina's? Depending on your preferences you may have trade-offs with each. I'm a speed hook guy, but the storm welt and assuming rubber sole on Carmina would have me lean that way. Also think resale will be better with the Alden's.

Both look great so think it'll be a function over form decision in all honesty

oskrusa

Reaction score
Thank-you guys for the feedback.

Both are on rubber soles: Alden's on Commando vs Carmina's Dainite studded.

What sole do you have on Carmina's? Depending on your preferences you may have trade-offs with each. I'm a speed hook guy, but the storm welt and assuming rubber sole on Carmina would have me lean that way. Also think resale will be better with the Alden's.

Both look great so think it'll be a function over form decision in all honesty

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Hey guys,

What do you folks think?

Sunlight:
View attachment 1673811

View attachment 1673812

Shade:
View attachment 1673814
View attachment 1673815
What is this selling word you speak of? ?
Truth be told both pairs are stunners. I think different enough to keep but then again…

oskrusa

Reaction score
What is this selling word you speak of? ?
Truth be told both pairs are stunners. I think different enough to keep but then again…

Ha! It has crossed my mind to keep them both.
I will have to think this through, try to pretend that I am a sane person and convince myself to get rid of one.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

What do you folks think?

Sunlight:
View attachment 1673811

View attachment 1673812

Shade:
View attachment 1673814
View attachment 1673815
Completely 2 different makeups. The Carminas have green lining!

Jokes aside, they're very ******* similar and I don't think one has a versatility advantage over the other due to being near identical. I never realized how similar the Detroit last is to the Plaza last until now.

My opinion:
By default, the Alden's stay due to the elusive nature.

Personal taste, Alden is great but I always thought when compared to other makers, they always look unrefined in some/most models. This being one of them. I don't think the Indy boot looks great on the Plaza last. I'd keep the Carminas if I had other Aldens in a 'rare' shade.

Alternate option: Keep both unless it crosses the border of financial responsibility.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

What do you folks think?

Sunlight:
View attachment 1673811

View attachment 1673812

Shade:
View attachment 1673814
View attachment 1673815
Keep Carminas,; darker shell colour and a much much sleek and nicer last than Alden. No doubt here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads