• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MAGNANNI “SEAN”, Cognac suede

1E77D0A5-3639-4895-B700-4CCEDAD723F9.jpeg

E4148D54-42D5-4971-AFA1-58F3E11CB54D.jpeg

1E2650C4-20CC-4309-9ACA-8EE752330CA0.jpeg

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: waxed kudu, above. What is the best way to care for this leather? Is it OK to give it a good brushing? The surface is a bit like Crazy Horse and marks very easily. As a patina lover, I don't want to smooth all this out. I anticipate that it won't need much looking after but I would appreciate some general guidelines. You would think that there would be lots of advice on the net about this, but there ain't. Let me be the first to send best wishes for Christmas.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Re: waxed kudu, above. What is the best way to care for this leather? Is it OK to give it a good brushing? The surface is a bit like Crazy Horse and marks very easily. As a patina lover, I don't want to smooth all this out. I anticipate that it won't need much looking after but I would appreciate some general guidelines. You would think that there would be lots of advice on the net about this, but there ain't. Let me be the first to send best wishes for Christmas.
Just leave em mate. Worst case down the line need re waxed just send em to shoe healer but in the mean time wear and enjoy..☕️

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update on my boot hunt.

After an extensive search, I decided to go with another Indonesian maker called Junkard, https://junkardcompany.com/. I checked out their reputation and reviews of work for overseas clients. Their response to my inquiry was really quick, they asked the right kinds of questions, and responded to my requests in the right way.

I'm getting a 'Vestito' field boot that's a little bit like the EG Galway in its basic style:
TAS09757-510x510.jpg
TAS09762.jpg

However, mine will be on the NH last which has a more rounded toe, and a few other details will be different. Here's the spec:
- Horween Chromexcel Color 8
- Fully lined
- Structured toe
- Antique brass laceholes + speedhooks
- Dark thread for all stitching (except welting)
- Pull tab level with shaft top
- Construction: Norwegian hand-stitched
- Welt: 360º stormwelted
- Double leather sole
- Full commando outsole

It will take 2-3 months, but here's the good bit: just $420 including delivery, for pretty much exactly what I want.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strange story, took these out to condition a little as I didn't do any maintenance before bagging them for the summer. Took one look and thought WTF, they seem to be fine as is.

20210612_101848.jpg

I always thought an Alden ravello wing on Barrie was as good as it gets but these C&J's definitely gives them a run for their money.......

Last edited:

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strange story, took these out to condition a little as I didn't do any maintenance before bagging them for the summer. Took one look and WTF, they seem to be fine as is.

View attachment 1623633

I always thought an Alden ravello wing on Barrie was as good as it gets but these C&J's definitely gives them a run for their money.......
W.O.W.
:worship:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Strange story, took these out to condition a little as I didn't do any maintenance before bagging them for the summer. Took one look and WTF, they seem to be fine as is.

View attachment 1623633

Those are beautiful. Are the paper clips to "train" the pull tabs to stay out of the way?

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Much appreciated TC, Thanks.

Those are beautiful. Are the paper clips to "train" the pull tabs to stay out of the way?

Ha, you have a keen eye as I actually forgot I put them there (and just took them off). Actually, it was the opposite. I seem to be one of the few who actually prefer tabs on my boots. Not for the function, I just think they look better. The previous owner had these trained so that they sat inside the boot so I decided to try my high-tech solution to reverse what he did. Just took the clips off and it appears as though my experiment worked perfectly. Thanks for the call-out!

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much appreciated TC, Thanks.

Ha, you have a keen eye as I actually forgot I put them there (and just took them off). Actually, it was the opposite. I seem to be one of the few who actually prefer tabs on my boots. Not for the function, I just think they look better. The previous owner had these trained so that they sat inside the boot so I decided to try my high-tech solution to reverse what he did. Just took the clips off and it appears as though my experiment worked perfectly. Thanks for the call-out!
You’re welcome Sir, you have one of the nicest collections on the forum. I too am a fan of the pull tab. Lbvs!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads