• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

djdanniedee

Reaction score
Both GG arran and STCs chukka are my fav chukka designs! I find both of their designs to be a League above the rest. The horizontal stitching on the Arran and the round seam from the laces on the STC are both small details but make them so different

Thank you. I agree about the G&G Kudu selection and think its one of the best. This was a single MTO few years back so its a special one :)

NormanVilalta

Reaction score
From a photoshoot, but these are my feet and my personal pair of Hemingway Boots.
hemingway_boot_norman_vilalta_2870.jpg

schweezly

Reaction score
Any recommendations to help break in? I have these Meermin Cherry Shinki boots that I’ve worn twice now. On the feet they’re great but I have shaft pain where the “bone” sticks out the side of your ankle.
I have Allen Edmonds leather spray conditioner and Bick 4 available at home. I also have a few tongue pads and heel pads I could use temporarily

edit: if I just need to tough it out...I get it. I haven’t had cordovan boots before and haven’t had this issue with CXL from Allen Edmonds

49157A06-EF35-46B4-A7DA-85954C17B6FE.jpeg

jayvee

Reaction score
Meermin shinki shell NST. They look absolutely battered. I gave them a going over with a quality horsehair brush and now it looks like the top layer is wearing off. Night and day with my Bonafé Horween shell boots ??‍♂️
8F774AB9-4C3A-494F-B367-79E132E2474D.jpeg

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meermin shinki shell NST. They look absolutely battered. I gave them a going over with a quality horsehair brush and now it looks like the top layer is wearing off. Night and day with my Bonafé Horween shell boots ??‍♂️ View attachment 1485960
I have heard shinki shell can be more hit or miss vs. Horween

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations to help break in? I have these Meermin Cherry Shinki boots that I’ve worn twice now. On the feet they’re great but I have shaft pain where the “bone” sticks out the side of your ankle.
I have Allen Edmonds leather spray conditioner and Bick 4 available at home. I also have a few tongue pads and heel pads I could use temporarily

edit: if I just need to tough it out...I get it. I haven’t had cordovan boots before and haven’t had this issue with CXL from Allen Edmonds

View attachment 1485940
This may be more work than you want to do, but if you have a pair of boot trees (like the Woodlore Boss Trees), you could use some wood putty to add "bumps" to the shafts of the boot trees where your ankle bones are rubbing, put the trees in the boots, and lace the boots up tight. This would eventually stretch the shafts of the boots in those spots. (I used this same technique to stretch the straps of a pair of Alden LHSs that were way too tight on my instep; I had to leave the modified shoe trees in for several weeks, but it worked. Of course, the LHSs are calf, and this may not work as well on shell; not sure about that, as I've never tried this on shell.)

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score

View attachment 1485940
CXL is miles and miles softer. I feel your pain, literally. I tend to wear with thicker socks which helps and not all day initially.

Goofy

Reaction score

View attachment 1485940
This may be more work than you want to do, but if you have a pair of boot trees (like the Woodlore Boss Trees), you could use some wood putty to add "bumps" to the shafts of the boot trees where your ankle bones are rubbing, put the trees in the boots, and lace the boots up tight. This would eventually stretch the shafts of the boots in those spots. (I used this same technique to stretch the straps of a pair of Alden LHSs that were way too tight on my instep; I had to leave the modified shoe trees in for several weeks, but it worked. Of course, the LHSs are calf, and this may not work as well on shell; not sure about that, as I've never tried this on shell.)
Generally speaking shell doesn’t tend to expand. You also run the risk of tearing the shell when applying tension.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads