• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any leads on what these are? They're marked T & H Bros., 1990 on the footbed, and 9 6 on the footbed and the sole. They might be a British army boot. Any info would be helpful.

20200626_194119.jpg

20200626_194139.jpg

20200626_193946.jpg
20200626_193757.jpg

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

rob80bboots

Reaction score
Time to get serious...Hoggs of Fyfe Rannoch, I believe by Cheaney.

Yep a verified trucker...as they like to portray them. : )
Hoggs of Fyfe Rannoch.png
Funny though.... .. I've been seriously looking at those recently as an alternative to the Scotch grain Grassmeres....how's the fit and finish in comparison to the Tricker's?
From what I understand the current versions are les bulbous from the previous version.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
View attachment 1414986
Funny though.... .. I've been seriously looking at those recently as an alternative to the Scotch grain Grassmeres....how's the fit and finish in comparison to the Tricker's?
From what I understand the current versions are les bulbous from the previous version.
I like them. Was tempted by c and j in Russian grain and to be fair these do everything that they would.
I sized down half and fit great as a 6 fitting.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like them. Was tempted by c and j in Russian grain and to be fair these do everything that they would.
I sized down half and fit great as a 6 fitting.

I enjoyed mine while I had them. Good roomy fit, sturdy but really comfortable.

The only “break in” I remember was around the top of boot due to the bellows tongue but this didn’t take long. All full bellows boots are a bit like this in my experience.

The finishing on mine wasn’t quite Trickers level but was decent enough.

Sold mine when I got Snowdon in zug which although a bit sleeker looking that rannoch feels even sturdier. I think the sole is heavier and the leather stiffer. Broken in nicely though.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any leads on what these are? They're marked T & H Bros., 1990 on the footbed, and 9 6 on the footbed and the sole. They might be a British army boot. Any info would be helpful.

View attachment 1414930

View attachment 1414931

View attachment 1414932 View attachment 1414933

Great looking boots, definitely military for the British branches, could be navy as well. Looks pretty similar to this pair someone got way back in the day: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/shoe-damage-report-shoe-p0rn-central-part-ii.168002/post-6673830

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Phoenician

Reaction score
View attachment 1414986

I have the same boot, Cheaney Pennine II veldt on commando. Its a superb boot and I was really lucky to get mine half off at 165 quid, which makes it all the more superb to me. Soft leather and nice craftsmanship.

I have its cousin veldt boot in the Alfred Sargent Selkirk in brown on double leather. It’s a true scarce Horween Zug grain which seems to give it that mystical allure over the Cheaney country grain. Can’t speak personally over the durability or water resistance of the two yet, but the true Zug is thicker and stiffer and will take more time to truly break in.
they’re both superb boots, as are the CJ and Trickers versions. To be frank, I any of these four would take years of beatings over and above what we’d likely put them thorough, so the best determining factors probably come down to budget, sole type and color options. Here are mine, Pennine in burgundy and Selkirk in brown

2AA292E6-2F31-4C0E-9515-F9AC048FEDB3.jpeg
A72EE4B0-4B8B-4579-AEE7-032C6FCFB9A3.jpeg
B3CAEDA2-6A02-4457-B0A6-D9041F2417CB.jpeg

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I have the same boot, Cheaney Pennine II veldt on commando. Its a superb boot and I was really lucky to get mine half off at 165 quid, which makes it all the more superb to me. Soft leather and nice craftsmanship.

I have its cousin veldt boot in the Alfred Sargent Selkirk in brown on double leather. It’s a true scarce Horween Zug grain which seems to give it that mystical allure over the Cheaney country grain. Can’t speak personally over the durability or water resistance of the two yet, but the true Zug is thicker and stiffer and will take more time to truly break in.
they’re both superb boots, as are the CJ and Trickers versions. To be frank, I any of these four would take years of beatings over and above what we’d likely put them thorough, so the best determining factors probably come down to budget, sole type and color options. Here are mine, Pennine in burgundy and Selkirk in brown

View attachment 1415205 View attachment 1415206 View attachment 1415207
Built to last those mate.

rob80bboots

Reaction score
I have the same boot, Cheaney Pennine II veldt on commando. Its a superb boot ..........

....... Here are mine, Pennine in burgundy and Selkirk in brown

Nice bots goin on there....is the Selkirk the replacement of the discontinued Kelso?

Holding off for now (famous last words :embar:)...as I've a few yet delivered by international post.....

......trying my hand with a pair of lightly used Barker Lambourn, an Edward Green Galway look alike.
Lambourn.png

...and another Trickers.... another Stow but in Kudu Polo...
trickers_stow_rubber_in_polo_kudu_1_med.jpg

Currently distracted by plus 30 here in TO. ....but will pick up something in a Commando eventually for the Canadian winter ☃

Last edited:

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1415205 View attachment 1415206 View attachment 1415207

Haven’t tried the Cheaney grain leather but the Horween zug is definitely very water resistant and tough. I’ve had my boots through deep puddles, long wet grass etc and most of the water just beads on the surface and runs off. Scuffs seem to rub out easily too.

The Rannoch’s are actually a different leather from the pennine and the Horween stuff. Again pretty durable.

I quite fancy an Alfred Sargent pair but have no need for them whatsoever! Could almost be tempted to put them away for a later date (in case they discontinue).

Northants bloke

Reaction score

View attachment 1414930

View attachment 1414931

View attachment 1414932 View attachment 1414933
Nice boots but I don't think they are British Army issue. My knowledge is way out of date but I would expect.

• British traditional army parade boots have toe caps.
  • Oxford toe cap shoes for some formal uses.
  • George boots - smooth chukka style for musicians, officers messes etc.
  • Combat boots were rubber soled.
  • These days technical/breathable, brown etc.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads