• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes! Test drove them on carpet at work and decided the fit was more than tolerable and decided to keep them. After three all-day wears “in the wild” I think the footbed is settling in and the fit is even better. So, a definite keeper.

That's great that they ended up working out!

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Viberg crust horsehide service boots today

these were from a special Horween sample run and feel like no other horsehide. Some parts have the Shell and some don’t. My pair feels just like horsebutt.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made it through another one, now the fun commute. At least I have my Zonkey Boot Jodhpurs to get me through it.

195640A2-2627-471F-ABE4-145877C218B6.jpeg

adamrt

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am newbie to the site and to good quality shoes, I purchased a pair of black Loake Aldwych shoes for work and they have lasted so much longer than a cheap pair of shoes I have realised the extra cost of the shoe is worth the investment so I am now looking at my first good pair of brown leather boots.

I have been looking at various makes and so far my favourite it the Cheaney Trafalgar Capped Derby Boot in Dark Leaf Calf Leather, at £395 is at the top end of my budget.

I just wanted to ask you guys if you had an alternative to the Trafalgar that you feel I should consider, if you have any experience with this boot and if you know anywhere selling the boot cheaper!!

Thanks in advance.

Adam

Attachments

• cheaney-trafalgar-capped-derby-boot-in-dark-leaf-calf-leather-p939-6656_medium.jpg
    cheaney-trafalgar-capped-derby-boot-in-dark-leaf-calf-leather-p939-6656_medium.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 62

adamrt

Reaction score
Oh and 1 more question, the cost of the shoe tree is £60!! thats what I use to pay for my shoes!! why is it so expensive and are they worth the money? I do use shoe trees but normally plastic ones!

Braid

Reaction score
Oh and 1 more question, the cost of the shoe tree is £60!! thats what I use to pay for my shoes!! why is it so expensive and are they worth the money? I do use shoe trees but normally plastic ones!
You can buy cedar shoe tree with same quality/specs on amazon or other shops for a third of that price.

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That seems extremely expensive and I agree with @Braid that one can source them on Amazon for a lot less. Yes, it is worth using wooden shoe trees in shoes and boots.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's a lasted shoe tree, that's a great price; if it's just a generic tree, you can do way better.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am newbie to the site and to good quality shoes, I purchased a pair of black Loake Aldwych shoes for work and they have lasted so much longer than a cheap pair of shoes I have realised the extra cost of the shoe is worth the investment so I am now looking at my first good pair of brown leather boots.

I have been looking at various makes and so far my favourite it the Cheaney Trafalgar Capped Derby Boot in Dark Leaf Calf Leather, at £395 is at the top end of my budget.

I just wanted to ask you guys if you had an alternative to the Trafalgar that you feel I should consider, if you have any experience with this boot and if you know anywhere selling the boot cheaper!!

Thanks in advance.

Adam

Welcome! I used to have some Aldwych and they were very nice shoes.

Those Cheaney Trafalgar look a nice and versatile boot. Cheaney are a good maker and decent value. They quite often come up on sale but that may only be certain models. The dark leaf colour looks great.

If you can get a Crockett & Jones Coniston on sale then that might come within your budget portentially. Coniston is a grain leather rather than smooth though.

Trickers outlet may be worth a look also. They might have something similar.

Limited sizes in these but they are made by Alfred Sargent for Tredders and look vaguely similar to the Trafalgar.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Thanks in advance.

Adam

on the lower end of your budget I’d also look at Sons of Henry and Lof and Tung (house brand of shoe store skoaktiebolaget). Both are affiliate vendors here. I have boots from both and they’re excellent value for money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads