1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dddrees, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Senior Member

Those are incredible, where are those from?

2. SoGent

SoGent Distinguished Member

vass ?

3. dddrees

dddrees Distinguished Member

That was my guess.

Although there are places where the stitching on the apron looks a bit crooked.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015

4. Steel28

Steel28 Distinguished Member

thanks, these are anniversary makeup from 3sixteen store. Email them as they are doing another run that should be ready in 6-8 weeks.

5. fiercekrypton

fiercekrypton Well-Known Member

I'll preface my collection with some background info. I am a grad student at SCAD Atlanta and I make my living as a sculptor. This means I do everything from welding, forging, pouring 2000+ degree metal, and plenty of clay and foam sculpting while wearing various boots. That said, I also enjoy going out to cigar bars, clubs, and gallery shows. So my collection is a little extreme, I have red wings that take the toughest blow from bronze pours but all my boots other than my Daltons and Michael shannons take a beating.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

6. VRaivio

VRaivio Distinguished Member

The trouble with Vass is that their handwork is at times sloppy, at times clean, especially with hand-sewn aprons and welts. It's like a gamble sometimes and I wish they'd have consistency in this regard as the uppers are already so clean. Just take another look at this green pair's stitches and you'll see what I mean. Sure, people on the street won't notice or even care, but we do -- and finishing is one way to rank makers.

7. winston

winston Distinguished Member

Are those Rider walnut cordovan boots in the original post still available anywhere? I saw them in the feature photo on the main page and thought wow, I want.

8. Zapasman

Zapasman Distinguished Member

Thanks Jazz. Vass in New Peter last. MTO. Green Calf . 360ª Goyser. Double leather soles. Rubber taps.

VRaivio [​IMG]

You both are right, but I value Vass among the rest of RTW GYW makers for many other things.

The slightly crooked apron stich is not a problem for me with this specific BOOT model; it gives some aditional character,.. it talks of his hadmade nature and the human imperfection.[​IMG]

9. VRaivio

VRaivio Distinguished Member

...well, what's the point of making clothes by hand if they are not made more carefully than machine-made ones? Mind you, I own the same Vass boot model with different details -- and sloppy stitches would have bothered me greatly.

Please don't call Vass Goodyear-welted. They are hand-welted and -sewn, the difference is essential and sets them apart from most shoes made today.

10. dddrees

When I first purchased them I was on the look out for a pair of boots in this color of cordovan. It wasn't that easy getting a pair in this color at that time. I was extremely lucky to find one of the last pairs of Rider Boot Co Boots that I could find in this color. I think at one time Rider Boot Co used to sell a number of cordovan boots in various colors but since the latest shortage I haven't seen many cordovan anything from Rider Boot Co. In fact anything I saw in cordovan from them were mostly last pairs. So I don't know if they have sold any boots in cordovan since that time about two years ago. The shoemakers they work with are smaller than what others are and I think this affected their ability to get cordovan during the current shortage. To get anything in this color is a bit more difficult than other colors as lighter colors of cordovan are harder to get as they require getting better shells. Generally you'll have better luck through Carmina, Vass, Enzo Bonafe, and from time to time Crockett and Jones (generally via GMTO). Getting something close to this color from Alden can take years and I'm not sure how possible it would be via Allen Edmonds at this time. Of course some of the styling elements will be a bit different depending on who you purchase a boot from unless you can convince them to make a similar copy which would cost you more.

11. dddrees

I am real glad to hear that it doesn't bother you and 'm glad to hear that you enjoy your boots. Great looking boots, I really like the model you choose and I think the color looks fabulous as well. Congrats!!!

In fact I was kind of hesitant to even say anything in the first place because I certainly didn't want to seem like I was disparaging your boots. However in part its because of replies from @VRaivio that I did. Personally these kind of things would bother me even though they may not bother others. It's kind of like the notorious bow that some Allen Edmond shoes can get. I have heard a couple of reasons as to why this may happen, but in the long run it's something I couldn't stand on a pair of my shoes. Although I've seen a number of real nice Vass shoes and boots and I actually own a pair of Vass shoes this isn't something I would like to put up with either. So this for me is another reason besides their difficult Lasts that give me pause before buying another pair of their shoes or boots to include the fact that it seems sometimes that they can get a detail wrong on the order from what I vaguely remember. For others this may not be such a big concern or such a big inconvenience. I currently purchase mostly from Edward Green and of course there is little hand work there, and they have a few tiny quirks. But for the vast majority the quality of the product that arrives at the customer is unquestioned at least from what I have seen. So this is just one factor of their product that works extremely well for me.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015

12. Zapasman

I do not have any problems with Vass (4 pairs). If there is an issue you return them without any problem from their side. I am not just a super picky finish shoe man with Vass. One should know his pros and cons before buying them (like any other maker).

You should allready know from me that I perfectly know who is Vass and that his shoes are hand welted and had sewed...and hand lasted too (you forgot to add it). May be my sentence was not correct in the english language, that is all. May be it was just you who thought I was calling Vass a GYW shoe.

Thanks for you knowlegde anyway.

13. dddrees

This is good to know, and to be honest I wouldn't expect anything less. However these things can be problematic especially when your talking about conducting these transactions overseas with various custom regulations, additional communication between me and the shoemaker, and potential for extra cost to me which I initially did not figure into the equation unless Vass takes care of return shipping. To me any additional time on my end would also cause me a degree of frustration. Frankly Id rather not have to deal with the headaches.

14. Zapasman

I can understand that dddress. I have returned to Mr. Kuti several pairs without any problem. I was aware of the issue from the first moment but taking into account that those are sturdy boots nd the price I paid, I did not mind at all.
    Thanks dddress. I just hope Jazz is the only one to copy them[​IMG]. He never have enough!!.

15. winston

winston Distinguished Member

Thank you for responding. I've done business with Ron in the past (MTO boots years ago). He's awesome to deal with.

It sounds like I'll need to look elsewhere for boots of that sort though. Can you tell me how to best go about getting Vass boots? I've never owned any Vass but they have caught my eye.