Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dddrees, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Classified_

Classified_ Senior member

Yeah that's what I thought about the leather. Actually I haven't asked about importing them from France, but I think I will skip the Suede, and just get a pair of Carmina instead.

The thing is, since I mostly wear denim and chinos, I'm not sure if I should go for the more classic brands: Cheaney, Carmina, C&J, Church, Alden etc or go for something, that's a bit more "Street"?

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  2. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Any of those brands can be street. You just need to find the right style. Have you checked out "Streetwear and Denim"?

3. Classified_

Will go have a look now... thanks

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Noooooo! Don't lead him down that rabbit-hole, or he'll be spending $1000 on a pair of crumpled boots that look as though they were made for farmers or miners during the Great Depression and have been worn ever since.

5. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

CJ is the way to go if you want to dip your toes into the deepens of the pool.

6. eljimberino

eljimberino Senior member

If you sign up for the Fine Pair of Shoes seconds section there are a few sizes of Alfred Sargent Cambridge left. I'm happy with mine as beginner boots.

7. Classified_

Thank you gents, good stuff here.

P.S.

Laughed out loud, most of that stuff is really out there, but some are nice, I tend to go for the more defined ones, and not the ones that look like a traktor went over them.

8. carlosco20

carlosco20 New Member

These are my Arkansas Brogue Boots. I like them very much.
    [​IMG]

9. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Senior member

What's not to like about that? :D

Now seriously, not all SWD "baller" boots look like that. Some do (mostly A1923, CCP and Guidi), and I'm not a fan of predistressed stuff myself. I do like the look of beaten to hell boots due to actual wear, though.

But look for example the latest project of Maurizio Altieri (arguably the guy who started the whole concept of "artisanal" SWD baller boots), called "mines of moria" or just m_moria:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

He uses exclusively Horween shell cordovan and are handwelted. And the boots have some cool details (to some) like not having any metal parts at all (it apparently uses nails made out of lemon tree wood). They are definitely more than $1K (more like $3k).

There are also other brands like MA+, Layer-0 or Individual Sentiments that don't really sell predistressed stuff. They do tend to use rougher looking/grainier leathers (like horse, bison, deer, kangaroo...) and in most cases they don't have the "flawless" finishing CM boots have (and on purpose), which in many cases are "taller" dress or semi-dress shoes.

Definitely different aesthetics (more workboot-inspired maybe?) to what's seen in this thread. Which is why there's a SWD sub and a CM sub. I love both boots threads so I guess I'm lucky. :)

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  10. MickeyPunch

I think you should get a pair of chelsea boots, in either black calf or tan suede, I think it would look good in your fits.

Chelsea boots are a classic and have become very popular again, SWD included. I'm not a huge fan of the elastic band but I think that being so "slim/minimalistic" they look good with slimmer jeans or trousers.

Jodhpurs are also an option.

11. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Wow, those black boots look almost like my Avatar.[​IMG]

12. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

I realize this is not politically correct but those examples are just butt ugly work.
    Street wear MAYBE but even then it's a big maybe.

13. MickeyPunch

Didn't expect/hope to get a different reaction, to be honest. :)

I'm definitely not trying to evangelize anyone (CM and SWD are largely irreconcilable, but I happen to enjoy both sides*), just trying to rebute the suggestion that all the boots in the baller SWD boot thread look trashed. As I said above, very different aesthetics.

* And I'm definitely not alone, ask in-stitches about his MA+ boots. :)

14. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

different ways different days is understood but those just don't make the cut