Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dddrees, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Just lovely!!.

2. mymil

mymil Senior member

Those look...kind of bad, in my opinion. There are so many suede chukkas available—surely you can find one somewhere? What about any of these: http://www.pediwear.co.uk/footwear/chukka-boot/

3. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Very nice, Foxhound.

I've never heard of them, but they look cheap.

The leather looks very much like it's corrected grain leather, which is low-quality leather that has had the outer layer shaved off and is coated with a plastic-like finish so that it looks smooth and shiny.

If you really want something from C&J, is it possible for the London C&J store to arrange to get the boot you want from Paris? I know that C&J have some French models and some Japanese models, but given that Paris isn't too far away from London, hopefully the London store could arrange something.

5. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

details and where to buy???

Thanks

I found the post with the info

Last edited: May 23, 2015

6. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

You probably found this already, as you say, but they're made-to-order by Enzo Bonafe through Skoaktiebolaget.

7. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Cross-post from the Shoe Care thread, thought you gents would enjoy.

Took care of one of my favorite pairs today - my Allen Edmonds Walnut Shell Daltons. These are one of my more heavily worn pairs, so I felt they needed some TLC. They also have a few fairly large and prominent dry patches and areas of roughness, so I felt like they needed some nourishment. They also have a few small dark blue marks that bled from my UNIQLO selvedge raw denim jeans.

First, I wet-brushed them: I got them very damp with a cloth, and while they were still wet, I brushed them until they were dry. This didn't really do much except clear off the dirt and dust and grime, and helped take out some of the denim bleed marks.

Next, I put on a latex glove and applied healthy doses of Bick 4 all over the boots, including the bellowed tongues (and inside the crease that the bellows form). I got the boots fairly heavily moisturized with Bick 4, and then brushed them down until the Bick 4 was absorbed as much as it can be, especially in the dry spots. By this point, the boots had lost most of their natural shine and were fairly dull.

Most of the nicks and scratches and dry spots were neutralized by the Bick 4 and the brushing, but I decided to apply some Alden tan paste wax, since they'd never been given any paste wax. The paste wax worked quite well and actually matched the color of the boots surprisingly well. I think it would work quite nicely on Ravello or Whiskey shell, too. I applied the paste wax sparingly, with a different latex glove, rubbed the wax to a dull surface all over the boots, and then brushed each boot for at least 5 minutes.

Finally, I buffed each boot with a polishing cloth, paying special attention to the toe, heel, and vamp areas. I then applied Allen Edmonds Chili edge dressing, which worked quite nicely.

All said and done, I'm quite impressed with how well it all worked. The dry spots/patches are nice and smooth now, the mottled patina is still present, but the boots have a nice luster and shine that's fairly tough for me to achieve using the usual methods.

It's especially fun when you're dripping in sweat after giving a pair of shoes or boots some care.

I don't have any before pics, but these are definitely the best they've looked yet.

The first "after" image is without flash, and fairly accurately represents how they look in most situations, but since it's already dark outside I couldn't get a nice natural light shot. The second "after" image is with flash, just because I think they look cool with the flash since it really highlights the variation in the shell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

^^ Wow. Great looking pair of boots!

9. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Thanks! They're in the upper echelon of my shoedrobe.

10. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Just picked these boots up from the office, today. EG Shanklins in Coffee suede.

[​IMG]

11. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

12. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

They are indeed! And that is the best they have ever looked

13. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Agreed. Now let's see them in use

14. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Really digging those Shanklins, tifosi - congrats!

15. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Thanks, Cleav!

Might be a while...this unlined suede and thin rubber sole might make these a bear to break in! Hahahahaha!

Thanks, Rog!