1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dddrees, Jan 20, 2015.

1. knezz

knezz Senior Member

2. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Distinguished Member

3. Carl1955

Carl1955 Senior Member

Boots, yeh,yeh we get it, now where's the dog?!!!!!

4. Betelgeuse

Hehehe she was asleep when I took the pic. :D

5. muddy250

muddy250 Senior Member

More Hydes glossed against the foul freezing weather outdoors and ready to walk me to the pub. These are approaching five years old and improving nicely with age.

ESCF5400.jpg

6. mschachter7

mschachter7 Member

Hi all, I'm looking for a nice pair of lace up boots for the winter!

I am considering a choice between the Crockett and Jones Northcote or Alfred Sargent Cambridge,

https://www.crockettandjones.com/northcote-darkbrown-wax-calf/

https://www.tredders.com/alfred-sargent-cambridge-rustic-grain.html

As I can only afford one right now, which do you think will be most versatile? The Northcote wins I think purely in terms of style alone, but not sure how well the leather will hold up in icy slush and bad weather? Would the scotch grain on the AS Cambridge be more hard wearing? I am not considering the often mentioned CJ Coniston as I find the AS Cambridge last shape a little more refined having tried both on.

Also is anyone considering joining this GMTO for a Navy grain AS Cambridge pair by AFPOS? They look gorgeous imo:

https://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/...-sargent-cambridge-in-black-calf-deposit-only

7. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

The C&J is a sleeker and dressier option and thus more versatile to dress up and down. You could get away with it with a suit, perfectly fine for sport coats and trousers, and works well with cords, chinos and moleskins. That AS pair I would not take up higher than a more casual sport coat / no tie type of deal. And no way in hell with a suit.

8. knezz

knezz Senior Member

Greetings,

It might be my monitor or my old eyes but these look a bit on the burgundy side? What color polish do you use?

9. mrjamescost

mrjamescost Distinguished Member

As somebody already pointed out, two totally different boots. One is more of a dress boot and the other more of a casual or country walking boot. Ideally you would have both. However, just go for the one that goes with the clothes you will be wearing more.

Regarding the navy Cambridge, it’s a nice boot. But not something I would be looking at any time soon.

10. muddy250

muddy250 Senior Member

Good answers to your question so far, as for weather considerations I'd go with the Sargent. I have a Loake Hyde which is very similar to the Northcote in style and the Sargent. The Sargent is the one that I would be happiest wearing in the conditions you describe. The C&J would survive perfectly well in terms of functionality but any marks they might pick up will be less obvious on the grain than smooth calf.
    Depends how much time you want to put in with polish?

11. Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Wild Strawberry Rabbit Senior Member

Indeed, there is shade of burgundy in their colour, something similar to this picture, maybe a little less reddish:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.jamesbondlifestyle.com/s...icles/160930-crockett-jones-tetbury-large.jpg

My guess is that this particular batch of shoes had slightly different shade, more on the burgundy side than the others. To be honest I use random creams, whatever is on the top of my shoe creams box. Sometimes Saphir "tabak brown" (habane), sometimes "brown" (marron) and sometimes even "plum" (prune). From my limited experience, Saphir creams don't have too much pigment in them and they won't change the shoe colour, so unless you use black cream for light brown shoes, you can use any cream with colour nearing the colour of your shoes and the result will be the same.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017

12. Betelgeuse

13. dfwcowboy

dfwcowboy Senior Member

Here's my first impressions of the Red Wing 2218 9" Logger-Lineman boots. These boots are often used by commercial and industrial workers who have a demand for boots that are going to stand up to some seriously hard use. They also seem to be a favorite of many folks who use them for biker boots. When you put them on, you definitely get a sense of why this is so. These boots weigh around 6 lbs and are incredibly stiff thanks to the thickest and firmest Vibram sole I've ever owned on a boot. As with all Red Wing boots, these come with oil tanned leather from Red Wing's own tannery, which isn't my favorite type of leather, but it does have some pretty good properties which favor work boots. On close examination I couldn't find any flaws in construction. Obviously these boots are going to require an extensive break in period, but they aren't especially uncomfortable thanks to the padded and fixed synthetic insole. I'm not a big fan of these types of insoles, but it does make for a reasonably comfortable boot right out of the box. My local Red Wing store had these in a 9D, but those were just a little tight in the middle which I didn't think would be compensated for in the brake in, so I opted for 9E. My normal size in boots including other Red Wing boots are 9D, but for whatever reason I always finding myself upsizing on the width for their work boots. The laces are the same type that came with my Red Wing Heritage boots and I'm not a big fan of them. They are quite strong and slip through the eyelets easily, but I prefer thicker and more flexible laces that aren't going to loosen up as readily.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-win...ed-wing-mens-9-inch-logger-lineman-boot-black

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Schweino

Schweino Senior Member

15. Dusty Heaters

Dusty Heaters Distinguished Member

G&G Cotswold W/ Dark Brown Patina
    046DCC22-C210-4D3F-A1D5-48353DED0AE9.jpeg

570A858D-A62C-4CD2-B253-E7158B3E817A.jpeg

9B5B950C-1CE2-48E8-84EC-509AD850D3C6.jpeg