• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fenners81

Reaction score
Do people keep their shoes and boots:
1)stored in boxes? OR
2) openly stacked on shelves/racks?

(Im finding thay as my shoe collection grows, keeping shoes in boxes takes up space in a room and you cannot visually see your collection to match with dressing on daily basis. But on the other hand it keeps shoes tidy and tucked away.
Considering whether to move to a shelving/racking system where the collection can be seen visually and any pair be easily reached and worn)
I used to keep in boxes but not any more due to not having the aforementioned shoe room. Mine are just stored open in a shoe cupboard to save Space. None of mine have fallen victim to any damage as a result but I do regret getting rid of some boxes as it reduces the selling on price.

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do people keep their shoes and boots:
1)stored in boxes? OR
2) openly stacked on shelves/racks?

(Im finding thay as my shoe collection grows, keeping shoes in boxes takes up space in a room and you cannot visually see your collection to match with dressing on daily basis. But on the other hand it keeps shoes tidy and tucked away.
Considering whether to move to a shelving/racking system where the collection can be seen visually and any pair be easily reached and worn)
I keep mine on shelves

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
I used to keep in boxes but not any more due to not having the aforementioned shoe room. Mine are just stored open in a shoe cupboard to save Space. None of mine have fallen victim to any damage as a result but I do regret getting rid of some boxes as it reduces the selling on price.
I hear ya.... ofcourse, my conundrum if whether to keep them in boxes or openly on shelves, is separate to the fact that i'd still hold onto the boxes no matter what. They come in handy later on if ever selling or passing on

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
I may be a bad source for this but I keep mine in boxes In the shoe room.
View attachment 2204139
I would say this is an ideal scenario @stephenaf2003 :) .. where you've got a purpose built shelf (with separate shoe compartments) where you can store your shoes WITH boxes. In the case of mere mortals like me, there can be the constraints of space. Storing WITH boxes needs more space certainly.

Hence this debate in one's head of whether to keep shoes/boots in boxes that are stacked up. Or a shelf that you put shoes/boots on without boxes (and chuck the boxes in the attic/garage).

I suppose if they are placed openly on a shelving unit, they are exposed to the elements (e.g. light, air, dust etc) which isn't necessarily bad for leather/suede because it lets it breathe. But then, this might require that you clean and touch them up more often. Another advantage is that you can easily see/visualise your collection to choose from for daily wear.

A few people have weighted in here and given their opinions. Thanks so far.

Last edited:

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And you should mention that this room has more than one side.
That is true @shoeinvestor, three sides total. @Humpty_Dumpty_Rises as you mentioned, it’s a rather ideal situation I find myself in. Being an empty nester has its advantages 😁. To your point, many folks here limit their collection for the very reasons you listed. Having a $h!t ton of shoes is appealing in theory, but not easily managed.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Galway this morning and Alderley and Thorpe this weekend

PXL_20240624_124138712.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20240623_224646023.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20240623_134916548.PORTRAIT.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.