• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New boots here as well today - maiden voyage momentarily - EG Galway, Utah gold.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Beach Bum

Reaction score
For you guys with nice boots. How much action do they get when there is actually snow on the ground? Obviously snow is only the minor issue, but salt is the serious damaging factor.

My guess is nice boots, let's say $500+ for sake of quantifying, never get worn when the commute includes salty, wet sidewalks.

Of course some may drive to work and park in garages, like myself, but that takes away some of need for the practicality of boots. Just curious though if people treat nice boots as actual winter wearers this time of year.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About the only circumstance where I make a conscious decision to avoid wearing nice boots is in the aftermath of a heavy snowfall followed by warming temps, which results in several inches of briny slush on the ground.

But regular snowfall on a cold day, I'll rock any pair in the rotation that have synthetic soles. I save the leather soles for the dry days.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They salt very generously here in NYC so I have a couple of boots for such weather (AS Hannover). I treat them with SnoWeal and they do the job. I also wear overshoes with my regular leather soled bals and its all good.

raktfram

Reaction score
For you guys with nice boots. How much action do they get when there is actually snow on the ground? Obviously snow is only the minor issue, but salt is the serious damaging factor.

I restrict leather soled shoes to cold and/or "dry" conditions and I have a pair of "beaters" for those really slushy days after heavy snowfall in combination with salt and near-zero-Celsius temperatures, but other than that, every day.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've 2 pairs of Vass and a pair of Meermin with rubber soles which I wear on the very rare snowy days we have. I ain't got none of them pretty Galways tho!

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New boots here as well today - maiden voyage momentarily - EG Galway, Utah gold.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg
Nice boots RogerP, and excellent pics as always. Did you go for 8.5 or 9 uk E on the 82 last?. I had the chance to try the same pair size 8.5 E from a friend of mine on the 82 last. I had some heel slippage (the heel of this Galway did not wrapped tightly my heel, although the lenght was good). How is the fit for you?. Enjoy them!!

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice boots RogerP, and excellent pics as always. Did you go for 8.5 or 9 uk E on the 82 last?. I had the chance to try the same pair size 8.5 E from a friend of mine on the 82 last. I had some heel slippage (the heel of this Galway did not wrapped tightly my heel, although the lenght was good). How is the fit for you?. Enjoy them!!

Cheers. 82 last in a UK9E is a damned near perfect fit for me. I didn't even try them on at the store before I brought them home. With the Dainite sole and the supple Utah upper, they are all-day comfortable right out of the box. Okay, there's a bit more of the day to go on their maiden voyage today, but I stand by that prediction.
biggrin.gif

borbor

Reaction score
About the only circumstance where I make a conscious decision to avoid wearing nice boots is in the aftermath of a heavy snowfall followed by warming temps, which results in several inches of briny slush on the ground.

But regular snowfall on a cold day, I'll rock any pair in the rotation that have synthetic soles. I save the leather soles for the dry days.
made that mistake today.

last time i'll be doing that, that's for sure. Actually thinking of going from a JR to a dainite when it's time for a resole.

borbor

Reaction score
^^^ Hopefully no bruises to remind you!
nah, the grip was fine. it's the pits in the sole that bugs me.

bone dry in the 'burbs; get to the core, saw the wet pavement and i literally was thinking "wtf is going on down here"

scrolls

Reaction score

My guess is nice boots, let's say $500+ for sake of quantifying, never get worn when the commute includes salty, wet sidewalks.

Of course some may drive to work and park in garages, like myself, but that takes away some of need for the practicality of boots. Just curious though if people treat nice boots as actual winter wearers this time of year.

I've always thought it's weird that my two most expensive pair of footwear get worn in the worst weather. They're both grain leather/rubber soled boots I bought specifically for the worst days. They've taken a beating and still look great
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads