• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still thinking on these but I just bought 5 pairs of boots and shoes. How do these compare to the 333 last (if you have any experience with it)?

Speaking of the Carlos Santos 333 Last; CS Grain Brogue boots
IMG_5885.jpg
IMG_5884.jpg

One of the boots that has arrived: AE Loden Higgins Mills (next to it is an AE Chapman)
loden hm.jpeg

I have a pair of Stow's and a non-grain CS brogue boot on the way which I'll compare.

I did a comparison of Trickers Bourton and GS longwing in the Tricker's thread so I'll probably do this one in the CS thread.

basu13

Reaction score
I'm still thinking on these but I just bought 5 pairs of boots and shoes. How do these compare to the 333 last (if you have any experience with it)?

View attachment 1741077 View attachment 1741078

One of the boots that has arrived: AE Loden Higgins Mills (next to it is an AE Chapman)
View attachment 1741080

I have a pair of Stow's and a non-grain CS brogue boot on the way which I'll compare.

I did a comparison of Trickers Bourton and GS longwing in the Tricker's thread so I'll probably do this one in the CS thread.
Unfortunately, I do not have experience with the 333 last since this is my only CS shoe, in fact my first Euro lasted shoe. From the pics of your 333 lasted shoe, the 445 last has a sleeker and narrower outward appearance. On a quick try on, they wear well. Fairly snug at the heel and instep but definitely generous room in the toe box. The leather is also thinner and lighter (though quite robust) than that on Trickers and Grant Stones which are the other boots I use. Will require much lesser break in than those.

The patina and colour are pretty darn gorgeous on these boots though!

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Division Road just dropped their most recent collaboration with Trickers. Some really nice options. I went back and forth between a couple of the options and finally pulled the trigger.... on C&J Scotch grain Coniston's I've been wanting ? I'm not sure how that happened. I'm actually wearing Sign Kudu Stowes right now and love them. The new brown nut dublin looks fantastic. But, some part of my brain said: if you're going to buy yet another pair of boots, get the ones you've been wanting.

jcreadeur

Honest Abe
Reaction score

View attachment 1741077 View attachment 1741078

View attachment 1741080

The Nobel shoe has some info on lasts for you hopefully this helps. I have the 401, 445, and 234 lasts and I went with an 8.5UK on all of them. I'm usually a 10D US in Allen Edmonds to compare. All of them fit really well but the 445 last was the most comfortable to me.

Currently, The Noble Shoe offers 10 different lasts each with its own style and properties. Let's take a closer look:

Last 234: A very soft chiseled last with good arch support and slightly generous instep. Might feel slightly roomier around the toes. Recommended to size down half from your regular UK Size. If you are between two sizes, choose the smaller one. If your shoes on this last have shearling, take your regular UK.
Last 316: A very slightly elongated, soft almond last. Quite comfortable with normal instep. Considered a tad roomier and would advise Half a Size down from your TTS UK Size.
Last 333: A classic round last found on the Wingtip Boot. Comfortable and little wider, you should Size Down Half from your regular TTS.
Last 362: The Penny Loafer last has an elegant rounder shape. Regular width but for a snug fit prefer to Size Down Half from your regular TTS.
Last 387: A chiseled last with a soft square toe shape. Has a normal instep and regular width. Fits (comfortably) snug and would advise your regular TTS UK Size.
Last 389: The 389 is exactly like the 387, with the only difference that it is mounted on Handgrade models with a closed channel sole.
Last 397: A gently elongated soft chiseled last. It is the widest fit of Carlos Santos. I would advise sizing half a size down from your regular TTS UK.
Last 401: The 401 is has an almond shaped toe. It has a regular width normal arch support and higher instep. It is recommended to size down half from your regular TTS UK Size.
Last 445
: New Last that looks like Edward Green's 82. Fits very similar to the 401 so Size Down Half from your regular TTS.
Last 462: New Soft Square Last that is very true to size and snug. Take it True To Size.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ecworks

Reaction score
These just arrived today from ShoeMart, Alden Cap Toe Shell in Color 8 with Antique edging on the sole. Good and the bad:

Good: The fit is amazing, right out of the box. Didn't even need to use the shoehorn they included in the package.

Bad: Quality control rears its ugly head. Right boot, outer side, looks like some sort of chemical was dripped on the shell leather, doesn't look like dye issues but very noticeable. I've reached out to ShoeMart and sent them pics today and I'm waiting for a response. Another thing I noticed is how thin the shell leather that is used for the tongue. Thinner than the tongue on my calf Indy's.

So mixed reaction to boots I was really looking forward to adding to my collection.
ShoeMart responded this morning regarding the stains/splotches on my new Alden captoe shells, they offered to send me a return label to arrange an exchange or full refund. I asked them if they would consider a discount and we then can walk away as friends. They are considering this. The only wrinkle is that I've already tried them on so there are folds and wear marks on the sole. That voids their restock policy according to the card included with the shoe. Interestingly enough this same card is signed by the person who inspected my boots and approved them for shipment. So I'm kind of at their mercy for restocking or refund at this point. On the upside, these boots fit amazing! Better than any shoe/boot I've purchased from Alden via ShoeMart. Could be the last (Grant), maybe this is the perfect Alden last for me.

And in the sun it has a gorgeous reddish/eggplant color/patina. If you go with the 9 eyelet route be prepared to spend some time getting these things on and laced and removing them as well. Those aren't called speed hooks for nothing!

Attachments

• IMG-2350.jpg
    IMG-2350.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG-2351.jpg
    IMG-2351.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 48

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This review is going to have some objective components. Going to let them warm up from being in 20 degree weather before I test out fit.
I am also going to do some size comparisons as I felt it was hard to get any information regarding EEE for European brands.
I can already tell the Stow is easily as wide as some of my EEE boots which is great.
EEEC946B-B6BF-4B42-8954-A7194697222F.jpeg
D9E79037-6A2E-4D94-8E90-509E5B9FC05E.jpeg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This review is going to have some objective components. Going to let them warm up from being in 20 degree weather before I test out fit.
I am also going to do some size comparisons as I felt it was hard to get any information regarding EEE for European brands.
I can already tell the Stow is easily as wide as some of my EEE boots which is great.
View attachment 1741448 View attachment 1741449

You also wear EEE? Awesome. I will follow your review so I can find some European boot brands.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics