• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ver nice. How long does Cordovan take to soften up and break in? I have some C&J Harlechs arriving soon and when I tried them on they felt pretty damn stiff!
I suppose there are many factors that affect break in. My experience for the most part, has been a pretty easy break in with all of my shell. Honestly almost every pair, in terms of the uppers, are broken in by the end of the first wear. I’ve found the thickness of the shell can be a factor. I have a pair of Rocado natural shell boots I had made, that are very thick natural shell. Admittedly, I’ve only worn them 7 or 8 times, but they still are stiff.

SumDude

Reaction score
Hi all,

@Genericuser1 's Santos black scotchgrain brogues (1st pic below) got me thinking about other black, grain boots that might dress well both up and down. There aren't many out there, and the one's I've seen have a grain upper and smooth calf toe, e.g. J.Fitzpatrick's Columbia (pic 2), Crockett & Jones' Coniston (pic 3) or J. Fitzpatrick's & Bremerton(pic 4).

The Santos seems discontinued. Are there other, similar boots out there? Or should I turn to MTO?

View attachment 1739646 View attachment 1739643 View attachment 1739644 View attachment 1739645
Tricker's has a nice black grain muflone (soft like kudu) Stow on a leather sole on their outlet website.

Reactions: svf

ecworks

Reaction score
These just arrived today from ShoeMart, Alden Cap Toe Shell in Color 8 with Antique edging on the sole. Good and the bad:

Good: The fit is amazing, right out of the box. Didn't even need to use the shoehorn they included in the package.

Bad: Quality control rears its ugly head. Right boot, outer side, looks like some sort of chemical was dripped on the shell leather, doesn't look like dye issues but very noticeable. I've reached out to ShoeMart and sent them pics today and I'm waiting for a response. Another thing I noticed is how thin the shell leather that is used for the tongue. Thinner than the tongue on my calf Indy's.

So mixed reaction to boots I was really looking forward to adding to my collection.

Attachments

Featured Sponsor

What's Your Favorite Summer Shoe?

• Loafers

• Boat shoes

• Espadrilles

• Sneakers

• Desert Boots

• Sandals

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads