• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ecworks

Reaction score
Cold November visit to DC, Harris tweed and my trusty 405’s got me thru
826E3E69-9501-4953-8D9E-C36538823786.jpeg
E26CF91E-FD12-41CA-BAD6-E5D4D80EF8BF.jpeg

Last edited:

winghus

Reaction score
TL;DR
I got a pair of Enzo Bonafe col4 shell boots back from Bedos Leatherworks after he remedied a developing tear on one of the shafts.

Now I need to wear them and see how they hold.
View attachment 1707439
View attachment 1707440

About 12 to 15 months ago I started to notice a dark line in that area. At first, you couldn't feel it to the touch and the actual surface was not broken or split yet.
I took the boots to a cobbler in Brooklyn, NY and then to Minas in Downtown for a 2nd opinion.
They both concurred that the line might have started its development on the other side of the shell, but the boots were lined, so, they would have to take that boot apart to check it out.

Lorenzo at Solegarb, who sold me the boots, dismissed my concerns, and after several back and forth emails it was clear that I was on my own and had to take care of it independently. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement.

I would say I am not a shell cordovan expert, however, I have a decent knowledge of it and I have personally handled several dozen of pairs of my own over the years.

I can state that this pair of color4 is the thinnest shell I have ever seen, by a long shot. It is thin to the touch and eyes, and very malleable, almost comparable to suede. Perhaps that was a contributing factor to the tear, but i cannot be certain. Below some picts.

Here are 2 EB pairs, col6(left) vs col4 on same last, about the same amount of wears:

View attachment 1707490

Bedos provided the picts below.

Him taking the shell apart from the liners, from the top of the shaft. He then glued the red material behind the tear:
View attachment 1707491

Sanding the outside:
View attachment 1707515

Finished job:
View attachment 1707548

Now, I need to wear them while keeping that area very well conditioned. I really like these boots and I hope it does not deteriorate too quickly.

Time will tell.
How long between handing them over to Bedo and getting them back?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads