• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: waxed kudu, above. What is the best way to care for this leather? Is it OK to give it a good brushing? The surface is a bit like Crazy Horse and marks very easily. As a patina lover, I don't want to smooth all this out. I anticipate that it won't need much looking after but I would appreciate some general guidelines. You would think that there would be lots of advice on the net about this, but there ain't. Let me be the first to send best wishes for Christmas.

Crafty Cumbrian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: waxed kudu, above. What is the best way to care for this leather? Is it OK to give it a good brushing? The surface is a bit like Crazy Horse and marks very easily. As a patina lover, I don't want to smooth all this out. I anticipate that it won't need much looking after but I would appreciate some general guidelines. You would think that there would be lots of advice on the net about this, but there ain't. Let me be the first to send best wishes for Christmas.
Just leave em mate. Worst case down the line need re waxed just send em to shoe healer but in the mean time wear and enjoy..☕

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update on my boot hunt.

After an extensive search, I decided to go with another Indonesian maker called Junkard, https://junkardcompany.com/. I checked out their reputation and reviews of work for overseas clients. Their response to my inquiry was really quick, they asked the right kinds of questions, and responded to my requests in the right way.

I'm getting a 'Vestito' field boot that's a little bit like the EG Galway in its basic style:

However, mine will be on the NH last which has a more rounded toe, and a few other details will be different. Here's the spec:
- Horween Chromexcel Color 8
- Fully lined
- Structured toe
- Antique brass laceholes + speedhooks
- Dark thread for all stitching (except welting)
- Pull tab level with shaft top
- Construction: Norwegian hand-stitched
- Welt: 360º stormwelted
- Double leather sole
- Full commando outsole

It will take 2-3 months, but here's the good bit: just $420 including delivery, for pretty much exactly what I want.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strange story, took these out to condition a little as I didn't do any maintenance before bagging them for the summer. Took one look and thought WTF, they seem to be fine as is.

20210612_101848.jpg

I always thought an Alden ravello wing on Barrie was as good as it gets but these C&J's definitely gives them a run for their money.......

Last edited:

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strange story, took these out to condition a little as I didn't do any maintenance before bagging them for the summer. Took one look and WTF, they seem to be fine as is.

View attachment 1623633

I always thought an Alden ravello wing on Barrie was as good as it gets but these C&J's definitely gives them a run for their money.......
W.O.W.
:worship:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Strange story, took these out to condition a little as I didn't do any maintenance before bagging them for the summer. Took one look and WTF, they seem to be fine as is.

View attachment 1623633

Those are beautiful. Are the paper clips to "train" the pull tabs to stay out of the way?

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much appreciated TC, Thanks.

Those are beautiful. Are the paper clips to "train" the pull tabs to stay out of the way?
Ha, you have a keen eye as I actually forgot I put them there (and just took them off). Actually, it was the opposite. I seem to be one of the few who actually prefer tabs on my boots. Not for the function, I just think they look better. The previous owner had these trained so that they sat inside the boot so I decided to try my high-tech solution to reverse what he did. Just took the clips off and it appears as though my experiment worked perfectly. Thanks for the call-out!

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much appreciated TC, Thanks.

Ha, you have a keen eye as I actually forgot I put them there (and just took them off). Actually, it was the opposite. I seem to be one of the few who actually prefer tabs on my boots. Not for the function, I just think they look better. The previous owner had these trained so that they sat inside the boot so I decided to try my high-tech solution to reverse what he did. Just took the clips off and it appears as though my experiment worked perfectly. Thanks for the call-out!
You’re welcome Sir, you have one of the nicest collections on the forum. I too am a fan of the pull tab. Lbvs!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.