• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Bootleg" hell.

slimjohnson13

Reaction score
All:

The rage that won't seem to end in my opinion is the "bootcut" style of jeans. I like my jeans with a much smaller opening at the bottom. Does anyone have experience having their jeans tailored to taper the leg of a pair of jeans? There are a lot of great jeans and washes out there, but they all seem to be the darned bootcut. Any thoughts? Thanks.

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
some of my friends have tailored straight jeans into tapered ones, but i don't know about bootcuts. anyway there are alot of great jeans and washes in a slim straight or tapered as well.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I've had a pair of bootcut jeans turned into true straight legs, but not tapered. In theory, there's no reason why it should be difficult.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Umm, bootcuts will be around as long as boots are around. Personally, I can't stand the trendy taper leg phase which looks emo to me.

nobody knows

Reaction score
You can taper in your bootcut jeans but the finish on the seams will look wierd. Try the capital E stacked skinny for a tight bottom opening.

ruach

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JET
Personally, I can't stand the trendy taper leg phase which looks emo to me.
Whatever that means..

cmrocks

Reaction score
What's wrong with slightly bootcut jeans? I love the look of nudie's bootcut ola and I'm trying to find a pair of those right now.

keal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruach
Whatever that means..

emo - punk rock & culture (someone can correct me here)

I prefer straight leg and tapered designs, as I have a 31" inseam, so I tend to step on the cuff of bootcuts if I don't have them hemmed. I would miss bootcuts if they weren't available, though. Having the option is always great.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Emo refers to a style of mopey, downbeat rock music. In turn, the clothing styles that these bands wear are considered "emo," which has included a throwback to the slim, tapered leg jeans once popularized by the Ramones and just tight jeans in general.

ruach

Reaction score
Sorry, sorry. What I was getting at is that it is really stupid to say that calling tapered jeans emo is just ridiculous. They have been around forever.

Also insert here the usual emo should not be and is not a clothing style, what you hear today is not emo, blah blah blah.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really don't understand why it's so damned challenging to find jeans with a tapered leg. They're called 501. Not to mention all the associated 501 knockoffs and repros out there, Japanese or otherwise.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
LA guy, I'm a little confused with your sn and your location. Can you clarify?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I lived in LA when this forum started. Now I live in Boston. Really pretty simple.

Yeah I can see how someone could have easily deduced that
sarcasm.gif

Pretty snooty response for a moderator and such an exemplary way of welcoming a new member to the forum!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads