• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bootcut jeans

Johnni

Reaction score
Do all bootcut jeans follow the cut of a slimming towards the thigh and knee tham opening up towards the foot.
I like boot cut jeans but hate how they are slim fitted near the knee area. Some look like flared jeans!

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnni
Do all bootcut jeans follow the cut of a slimming towards the thigh and knee tham opening up towards the foot.
I like boot cut jeans but hate how they are slim fitted near the knee area. Some look like flared jeans!

All jeans slim from the thigh to the knee, unless somehow your thighs are thinner than your knees and they make jeans for that aesthetic.

Bootcut jeans increase in width from the knee to the ankle by definition.

Johnni

Reaction score
jesus christ!
Boot cut jeans tend to be slimmer at the knee compared to other jean types, straight/relaxed so are there boot cut jeans that don't but still increase in width fro the knee to ankle

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are not necessarily slimmer at the knee compared to other cuts. They just appear that way because they flare from knee to ankle. Straight legs would not give this appearance as they are uniform.

Edited: <poops on Arethusa>

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they taper at the ankle, they are not straight leg jeans by definition. They are tapers.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jesus christ!
Boot cut jeans tend to be slimmer at the knee compared to other jean types, straight/relaxed so are there boot cut jeans that don't but still increase in width fro the knee to ankle

Most jeans, excepting real straightleg dungaree style jeans like those that Atelier La Durance make and those crazy raver jeans, taper from the thigh to the knee. Boot cut jeans tend to taper a little more to account for the bootcut. This is true for even "relaxed" bootcuts like the old Paper Denim LTD.

Arethusa, you misread his post, I think.

Johnni, you asked a question. No one reasonable would construe Drizzt's response to you as hostile, so don't you be.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't misread it. He just edited his post.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
NYway, yes there are boot cuts that don't taper so much at the knee. The classic 517 cut doesn't taper that much, and it doesn't flare out much either. HL classic boot cut is very similar. Pretty much anything that follows the 517 cut won't look ridiculous.

Johnni

Reaction score
It was a sarcastic comment as i read it and it was unnessesary to put it in his reply i thought.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a sarcastic comment as i read it and it was unnessesary to put it in his reply i thought.

I didn't get that. In any case, the take home message is "Don't be hostile." Give people the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately, we've had some internet tough guys come around recently, so I'm keeping a tighter rein on things. Unfortunately, because you are relatively new, and I don't have a good sense of your internet persona, you are under more scrutiny then long time posters. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics