• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boot recommendations

enarchay

Reaction score
Since I'm currently overweight, my jeans tend to be a relaxed fit and look poor with slender shoes (loafers, wingtips, etc.), so I think it'd be a good idea to get a pair of boots. I was originally planning to get the Red Wing GT, but now I'm starting to think they're a bit too pricey for me. (Plus, I'm not sure they'd fit, since I usually take an E or EEE.)

As a result, I was thinking of going with something like the AE Calhoun (since Clarks are way too uncomfortable for me). But I'm wondering if even a chukka might look a bit too slender. I'm also not sure how versatile these would be.

Any other shoes I should consider? I'd like to spend bellow $200.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If chukka's are too slender then you probably just need slimmer jeans.

Otherwise, I think shoebuy has GTs under 200 with all their discounts. You can go on ebay or yoox for f+b or butteros or ndc for about 200 or less.

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
If chukka's are too slender then you probably just need slimmer jeans. Otherwise, I think shoebuy has GTs under 200 with all their discounts. You can go on ebay or yoox for f+b or butteros or ndc for about 200 or less.
I haven't been having any luck with ebay. Just checked shoebuy and unfortunately they don't have the GTs in my size.

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
(Plus, I'm not sure they'd fit, since I usually take an E or EEE.)

GTs will certainly not fit you. They are very narrow.

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aaaeeeiiiooouuu
GTs will certainly not fit you. They are very narrow.
Well it depends. For instance, I can fit in PF Flyers in a D, Sperrys in an E, but in AEs I typically take an EEE. Sadly, there are no Red Wing dealers in my area to get an idea about fit. So any other shoe recommendations if Red Wing is out of the question? Should I just go with the Calhouns?

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
Well it depends. For instance, I can fit in PF Flyers in a D, Sperrys in an E, but in AEs I typically take an EEE. Sadly, there are no Red Wing dealers in my area to get an idea about fit.

So any other shoe recommendations if Red Wing is out of the question? Should I just go with the Calhouns?

Look into Wolverine 1000-mile. They are similar to GTs and run up to EEE.

Also, I wouldn't count on trying on GTs even if you find a RW dealer. All the RW dealers by my place only stock their orthopedic offerings.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads