• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

    Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Boot recommendations

enarchay

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2009
Messages
541
Reaction score
0
Since I'm currently overweight, my jeans tend to be a relaxed fit and look poor with slender shoes (loafers, wingtips, etc.), so I think it'd be a good idea to get a pair of boots. I was originally planning to get the Red Wing GT, but now I'm starting to think they're a bit too pricey for me. (Plus, I'm not sure they'd fit, since I usually take an E or EEE.)

As a result, I was thinking of going with something like the AE Calhoun (since Clarks are way too uncomfortable for me). But I'm wondering if even a chukka might look a bit too slender. I'm also not sure how versatile these would be.

Any other shoes I should consider? I'd like to spend bellow $200.
 

bananananana

In Time Out
Joined
Jan 27, 2010
Messages
664
Reaction score
1
If chukka's are too slender then you probably just need slimmer jeans.

Otherwise, I think shoebuy has GTs under 200 with all their discounts. You can go on ebay or yoox for f+b or butteros or ndc for about 200 or less.
 

enarchay

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2009
Messages
541
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by bananananana
If chukka's are too slender then you probably just need slimmer jeans. Otherwise, I think shoebuy has GTs under 200 with all their discounts. You can go on ebay or yoox for f+b or butteros or ndc for about 200 or less.
I haven't been having any luck with ebay. Just checked shoebuy and unfortunately they don't have the GTs in my size.
 

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2009
Messages
675
Reaction score
39
Originally Posted by enarchay
(Plus, I'm not sure they'd fit, since I usually take an E or EEE.)

GTs will certainly not fit you. They are very narrow.
 

enarchay

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2009
Messages
541
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by aaaeeeiiiooouuu
GTs will certainly not fit you. They are very narrow.
Well it depends. For instance, I can fit in PF Flyers in a D, Sperrys in an E, but in AEs I typically take an EEE. Sadly, there are no Red Wing dealers in my area to get an idea about fit. So any other shoe recommendations if Red Wing is out of the question? Should I just go with the Calhouns?
 

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2009
Messages
675
Reaction score
39
Originally Posted by enarchay
Well it depends. For instance, I can fit in PF Flyers in a D, Sperrys in an E, but in AEs I typically take an EEE. Sadly, there are no Red Wing dealers in my area to get an idea about fit.

So any other shoe recommendations if Red Wing is out of the question? Should I just go with the Calhouns?


Look into Wolverine 1000-mile. They are similar to GTs and run up to EEE.

Also, I wouldn't count on trying on GTs even if you find a RW dealer. All the RW dealers by my place only stock their orthopedic offerings.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

  • Crewneck sweater

  • Turtleneck sweater

  • Long-sleeve polo

  • Vest

  • I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
454,899
Messages
9,854,489
Members
205,537
Latest member
Thowaiching421
Top