• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boot question

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to find myself drooling over boots, although I really don't know how to use them. I have a pair of Chiltern from C&J in snuff suede with a crepe sole and they are wonderful with jeans. But for more dressier boots, such as the Sandown from C&J, I have no clue. I love the Sandown, but it seems too dressy for jeans, totally mismatched with chinos or cotton trousers, but undermatched with wool dress trousers. I live in a tropical climate, so I don't wear heavier flannels or tweeds. Any idea on how to use these boots?

FFW

Reaction score
You can wear that with almost everything, if you ask me.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Sandown is a beautiful boot.  I can certainly see wearing them with a nice pair of tan slacks, in lightweight wool or cotton or silk blend (not casual khaki's, but well-pressed, fine weave dressy slacks that happen to be tan.  Gray would work well too IMO.  I don't see how they would be "mismatched" with these at all.

And, with jeans, I could see these boots working well if paired with a dressy shirt, ideally with a casual blazer.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I see no reason why not to wear those boots with a suit.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second globetrotter's opinion.

Phil

Reaction score
you can wear dressy boots with any suit, as far as I am concerned. In fact, until about the turn of the 20th century, all mens dress "shoes" were boots. The advent of oxfords were a step down in formality. I wear suede chukkas with flannel and tweed suits, and single soled Edward Green Banbury and Warwick boots with even my dressiest suits. They are a bit offbeat and eccentric, which I like, and while you are standing there, they look just like shoes. Its only when you sit and cross your legs do you even notice that you are wearing boots.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to wear only boots, for a few years. for some reason I stopped, but it is my intention to go back to a boot only shoe wardrobe, as my shoes wear out.

Phil

Reaction score
Im about 50% boot, 50% shoe, but I definetely favor the boots. In fact, I won those EG Warwicks on ebay earlier this week, so the boot % is rising.

jester

Reaction score
I have wanted, for some time, to add some boots to my wardrobe (for suit wear, that is). But I just haven't found the right one at the right price.

Phil

Reaction score
BB has a few nice pair, at $338.00 I think. Dainite soles, but still dressy enough to be worn with suits. They used to be made by Crockett & Jones, and were in fact the exact same model Polo sells in Cordovan as the Maccallum. I think BB has them in black calf, brown suede, and a pebble calf model.

smartie_addict

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been asked before, but I was under the general understanding boots are mostly winter footwear? Specifically, chukka and chelsea styles?

Phil

Reaction score
No, I dont think boots are for winter only. I think thats an impression some people have because chukkas are often suede, and people think of heavy suits with suede shoes. But the truth is suede, and dress boots for that matter can be worn all year round. I suppose someone might argue that because your ankle is covered up with boots that they might be hotter than shoes in the summer. Thats pretty nitpicky to me though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics