• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Boot Help

deaddog

Reaction score
I'm looking for new boots to wear with jeans but not too rugged/work boot looking. For fit purposes, I need a wide toe box/forefoot relative to the heel fit of the boot. I also want them to be comfortable out of the box - I don't want to have to break them in. The problem is that the fancier dress boots (Paul Smith) that don't need break-in have narrow toe boxes. And, although I haven't tried them on, I hear the RedWings (all styles) take a long time to break in. So, any recommendations?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you looked into RM Williams? There's a lengthy thread somewhere on this site about them.

Frodo

Reaction score
Red Wing has a variety of boots that are appealing to the "urban lumberjack" aesthetic. How much break in they require is a matter of how you wear them. If you expect to be able to walk 5 miles in them, you'll need quite a while. I still have my Red Wing loggers that I wore to build a log cabin 20 years ago. They're made to last your lifetime, basically.

The "Indie boot" is something Alden has done really well, but it isn't cheap. Seems to fit your description though.

Filson makes (or causes to be made) some boots.

Depends if you want a lace up or a pull on - decide this first, I suppose, and go from there.

deaddog

Reaction score
Thanks. I want only a lace-up boot. I'm not a huge fan of the looks of the Indy and I haven't found a place to try it on - none of the internet "free shipping/free return" places seem to carry Alden.

Rusty G.

Reaction score
I bought a pair of cordovan Alden Cap Toe boots on the plaza last from Alden of Carmel. They've also got the commando sole. Great boots. You can wear them immediately and they look great. They are expensive, but I feel worth the price.

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deaddog
I'm looking for new boots to wear with jeans but not too rugged/work boot looking. For fit purposes, I need a wide toe box/forefoot relative to the heel fit of the boot. I also want them to be comfortable out of the box - I don't want to have to break them in. The problem is that the fancier dress boots (Paul Smith) that don't need break-in have narrow toe boxes. And, although I haven't tried them on, I hear the RedWings (all styles) take a long time to break in. So, any recommendations?

Depends on your budget. Try Alfred Sargent Kelso / Selkirk.

dinogj

Reaction score
look into the wing+horn x dayton service boot. I think it might be just the ticket your looking for.
They are a little pricy, but when they are worn in for you thats what you pay for.

Also any of the wolverine 1000 mile boots are good, they have a widish toe box, but i dont know how well the break in.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dinogj
Also any of the wolverine 1000 mile boots are good, they have a widish toe box, but i dont know how well the break in.

These are comfortable right out of the box. Size down.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's