• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boot Black Artist Palette

maximih

Reaction score
So I did order some new shoe care products because I was curious and had a "problem shoe", more later on.
I thought why not share with you as I take pictures of shoe polishing quite often so I can see the before and after magic for myself:)

So I usually use the Saphir Medaille D'or or regular Boot Black Shoe Cream and their waxes. Both do a great job.
But why not try something new.

First off I have a pair of shoes where one shoe color was off compared to the other. One shoe is way lighter, no idea where it came from, maybe stood too long in the sun but however I thought this would be a great pair to try the new stuff ordered.

The Boot Black Artist Palette (http://bootblack.jp/en/ap/index.html)
It's a pretty new product and I've just read about it. It has expensive argan oil in it which you don't find in other shoe creams I know off.

So here is a "before" picture of the pair, as you can see it has way to much wax and products on it. Over time they ended up looking like this. As you can see the shoe on the left is lighter than the other, even after using a darker cream on that one for a couple of times it didn't get much better but see for yourself:

A quick picture of the products used in the following steps:

So first thing I did I used the kind of aggressive Saphir Renomat to get off all old layers of cream and wax. Which is actually more work than you would think:)
As you can see on the cloth the shoe cream from the shoe on the left side was way darker but still had this huge color difference.

So after taking off all old creams and waxes the shoes did look like this. It was hard to capture the colors, the shoe on the left was still lighter but not that bad anymore.

So Boot Black says the "Artist Palette" also moisturizes the leather with argan oil it contains. So I did not use a conditioner like I normally would after heavy use of the Renomat. For anyone who didn't use the Renomat before, be careful it is really effective but also aggressive and cleans and drys out the leather. So don't use it too often!
So I did put on 1-2 thin layers of the "Artist Palette" and was amazed of how much nutritioning this already did to the leather. It already looked way better and already had a little gloss, I just rubbed out the cream with the cotton cloth.

So the shoes looked like after rubbing around with the cotton cloth one more time.

Then I added another 1-2 thin layers and rubbed them out with the cotton cloth and polished them a little with my bare hands until it got a little warm.
So this is what I ended up with. You can even notice that both shoes almost have the same color. Thats what I was aiming for! The cream has a great opacity I've never seen even on other high end shoe creams.
For me this was perfect as I don't like the mirror gloss polished cap toes. The other problem with that is after polishing up your shoes a couple of times you should take of the wax layers with a leather cleaner and then put on a lotion sometimes before putting on cream and then wax again. So with this product I can really save me the hassle of removing the wax layer before taking care of the shoes. The cream does it all in one step for me. So for me I just need cream and no wax anymore, also it is less work so it is worth the higher price for me personally.
I have to say it was pretty easy to use. The gloss I achieved did not take long at all, no brushes were used. I am sure if you add thin layers to the cap toes and polish them out you can get even more gloss out of the cream, comparable to regular shoe waxes.
But see for yourself:

And some pictures outside, sadly the was no sun out just clouds but you can still see the nice deep gloss.

So for me the all around package: high care, easy to use, high opacity and gloss makes the "Boot Black Artist Palette" the best cream I've used so far. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'm happy to answer questions. So have a nice sunday everyone!thnatural waxes and argan oil which provides moisturizing effect. ■Imparts a clear finishing and provides water repellent effect. ■Oil based, easy-to-use soft shoe cream with waterless formulation

maximih

Reaction score
The sun came out today so I took a quick picture where you can see the gloss better:)

All pictures are just taken with my smartphone, no artificial light, photoshop or anything like you see on a lot of shoe care blogs:)
Have a nice sunday everyone!

Brujo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I've tested this shoe cream also.

The worn old shoes

Cleaned and nourrished with the Boot Black lotion

I've darkened the right shoe, on the pic at left,with the patina cream

After the hand polish

I must say after the experience of more than 20 years of Saphir MDO that the Artist Palette cream of Boot Black
is absolutely the best cream I've used ever, expensive but really excellent!

The spread out has been very easy, the cream colors very well and its brilliance is much more better than the one of other polishes.

Last edited:

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm really glad you posted this. After giving the product a try, I think it's so far above and beyond Saphir it isn't even funny.
Have you used their Argan oil alone ?

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've tested this shoe cream also.

The worn old shoes

Cleaned and nourrished with the Boot Black lotion

I've darkened the right shoe, on the pic at left,with the patina cream

After the hand polish

I must say after the experience of more than 20 years of Saphir MDO that the Artist Palette cream of Boot Black
is absolutely the best cream I've used ever, expensive but really excellent!

The spread out has been very easy, the cream colors very well and its brilliance is much more better than the one of other polishes.

Nice job!!! Shoe details???

Brujo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Double Monk,
calfleather,
making: Stagno, Norvegese with an additional welt to keep the shoe water-repellent
year: 2009
made by hand = handstitched and handsewn
maker: Damiano Chiappini, Montegrano, Italy - http://www.damianochiappini.com/

Another shoe in Norvegese and Norvegian design at the same, made by Damiano in 2008 and also hand polished with the Artist Palette cream of Boot Black

I've more shoes made by Damiano; his prices are very reasonable for completly (and really) handmade shoes.
His son Gianmarco, shoe maker also and the 6th or 7th generation, speaks English.

My best fitting shoe in suede, made in 2008 - more than 8 years old.

If you want to know further details ask me.

Last edited:

Brujo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, I've oiled nubuck with Argan oil but I must sand the shoes.
The leather has soaked up a lot of oil - now it's touch is very soft like velvet.

I'm sure that the Artist cream of Boot Black is much better than other creams, I've been surprised also.

Last edited:

Brujo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I've made 2 videos about the hand polishing

[VIDEO] [/VIDEO]

These shoes hade been dark grey, colored with the blue Collections cream of Boot Black and made some experiments with them.
That's why the shine of the toes are different.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

Brujo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Double - sorry

Last edited:

Brujo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
A friend comparing the Saphir Mirror Gloss and Boot Black shoe care has sent me this video today from his black shoes.
The toe has only one layer of the black High Shine Coat - the sides are polished with the Artist Palette

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads