• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boot analysis for a newbie.

AwkW

Reaction score
I'm a newbie, both to the forum and to style in general. I've always worn what's easy, comfortable, and cheap. Recently, I figured out that I have narrow feet, bought a pair of boots off eBay, and... wow, what a difference fit makes. I'm going to be far more conscientious about the clothing I buy from now on. In addition, I'm going into a profession that needs to look decent, so to you I turn.

I'm starting my education with footwear. Bottoms up, right?

I want you to critique the living snot out of these boots. Assume I know nothing about good looking footwear. What's stylish? What's not? What's downright ugly? I've done some reading and some searching, but still I'm sure there are links that I've missed; feel free to provide some. I won't be insulted, and I won't take your opinion for more than it's worth, so have at it.

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

PS: Apologies for no decorative rug. I'm still a student.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try an advanced search for threads with "bicycle toe" in the title.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what are those? Aldos? Florsheims?

They are pretty ugly, but they might work with some sort of 70s authentic retro vintage outfit

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugly IMHO

Qasimkhan

Reaction score
The living snot was already removed when the cow was killed to provide the hide for the leather.

AwkW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Try an advanced search for threads with "bicycle toe" in the title.
Just what I was looking for--thanks. Obviously, I'm still developing an eye for how different elements go together, but I'm also learning what elements there are. Just yesterday I had never thought about or noticed the difference between a derby and an oxford, but the different terms pointed them out. Anyone think I should put together a collection of examples of basic categories like this for other newbies to post on the wiki? Another question: does the width of the fit impact the appropriate design choice? That is, my feet are narrow, should I generally lean toward one style or another? Thanks!

AwkW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
what are those? Aldos? Florsheims?

They are pretty ugly, but they might work with some sort of 70s authentic retro vintage outfit

No clue what brand they are. They're old and neglected, and most of the label on the inside has worn off. Wouldn't surprise me if they are, indeed, from the 70s. I'm indifferent to the look, but am rather partial to the shoes as being the first ones I've ever had that actually fit. Hopefully, with the help of you guys, my next shoes will both fit and look good.
smile.gif

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
once you know the general basics of what you want in a boot, or find a good looking boot that you like, then post specifics. otherwise this is a very generous question that has been asked over and over. there is a wealth of information in this forum if you just search for it. wouldn't hurt to search at least the first 3 pages or so of this forum. there's at least 5-6 threads, probably more, just made in the past 2 months or so.

neyus

Reaction score
They wouldnt look so bad when covered my your trouser legs

CDC

Reaction score
Welcome to SF

Those aren't that bad. Not great, but definitely passable. The black Florsheims are better but you can make these work with a good pair of *naturally* worn out jeans. SF tends to favor these modern, exspensive, gross looking chelseas with chunky soles and that stretchy spandex **** on the sides. Gross. I haven't been able to figure that out yet.
Though dmuch more difficult to find, Nunn bush makes a very similar version with the 2 seams down the toe but they are noticably more narrow at the toe. It's my one issue with the Florsheims - toe's too wide. Also, if you're a bit more vigilant, you can find much better vintage zip boots on the eBay - if you're a slender guy, go with a narrower toe.

and merry christmas!

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Merry Christmas.

I like boots and have a few. Yesterday I was wearing a pair of brown C&J Tetburys which are not 'clunky' at all, although my usual 'wear with jeans' boots, a pair of really worn JL Cheslands are a bit wide and round in comparison.

As your boots go, they're not so bad. Unfortunately, the 'bicycle toe' look is pretty much derided here, and sooner or later if you stay on the forum, you'll 'catch the bug' and find it difficult to wear those. I have a pair of Gordon Scott boots which are a bit more square toed bought before SF, and I can't wear them nowadays without cringing a little. A bit silly perhaps.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like many forumites, I'm not crazy about bicycle toes, but they seem, well, okay to me. Let's say if someone gave me a pair of such boots, I'd wear them with pleasure on occasion.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For bicycle toes, those aren't bad. Maybe it's because of the boot shape.

Another question: does the width of the fit impact the appropriate design choice? That is, my feet are narrow, should I generally lean toward one style or another?
However, the answer to the first good question is Yes. Bicycle toes narrow and (independent of lacing) lengthen the foot and thus might be, among popular styles, the one to most avidly avoid. "Design choice" is a broader category than decorations, though. A chunky shoe can fit the foot the same as a much lighter shoe, for example, and as you note there are categories such as derby and oxford. Reading up on/looking at shoes would help you.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you like them and they fit, wear 'em. They don't look bad. Neglected, perhaps, and I personally would prefer a thicker sole, but that's just my preference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads