1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bookster Customer Service

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rodaman, May 20, 2013.

1. rodaman

rodaman Senior member

I haven't received any email of any kind in re: to my waistcoat...I, as well was looking forward to my waistcoat...

2. rodaman

rodaman Senior member

is there an email I should be using to contact them more efficiently? besides the info@bookster?

3. cassini

cassini Member

There is Peter King's email, which off the top of my head is Bookster1uk@hotmail.com, but I wonder whether he will be answering anything just right now?
    My sympathies to you folks who paid up front via debit cards or Paypal, I'd have been in an unsecured position too if I hadn't complained on here a few weeks ago and started Bookster into action. Not that I have quite what I wanted, but there is some hope I can get my jacket tweaked into better shape, whereas I see a number of people here have uncertainty about what, if anything, they will receive in compensation.

I think there is a lesson here for everyone - there were those that took the view that Bookster could take as long as they wanted to deliver their goods and those who disagreed were just impatient, but as I pointed out in a previous post, it simply doesn't take that long to deliver a jacket even if you have elves making it after midnight only on the full moon...something was up at Bookster and I recognised the signs of a company that was in some sort of distress...

The only reason I had anything delivered at all before this bankrupcy I believe was because I went public on Styleforum, so thanks to Styleforum for the platform anyway.

4. cassini

cassini Member

By the way, it would appear there's a good chance that Bookster used www.Bespokemears.co.uk as their tailors in case anyone thinks their order might be with them. My own view is that they don't look like the sort of people that tinker around with a jacket or waistcoat for six months so they may never have had the order through from Bookster in the first place, but that's a guess...

5. cassini

cassini Member

6. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Sad news here for all concerned, Bookster made some nice things for me over the years..

7. steverooney

steverooney New Member

hi all

sw this post and had to reply as i was in the same position. cassini is correct, i have contact bespokemears http://bespokemears.co.uk/ (01922 476930) and they had my order, they are also in the same position, however i have been speaking to them and they are being really helpful!! i suggest you give them a call, they might be able to help

steve

8. Messkit

Messkit New Member

Yes they coordinated (but did not make) great suits and are lovely people. With hindsight their fundamental problem is that they were way, way under-priced - they were just middle-men so how could they run a successful business selling suits for less than if you bought them direct from the tailor? Of course they couldn't but their business model whereby everyone paid up front meant it would take some time for this to become clear. The tailor of customer A's suit needs a little bit of customer B's money. Then the tailor of customer B's suit needs a bit more of customer C's money and so on with each suit taking a bit longer to deliver. It is a bit like pyramid selling and eventually it all collapses with nobody getting any suits.

I'm even more of a sap than anyone because in my heart I realized this when my second suit still had not arrived after 8 months and many phone calls. Also, the change of location was a telling sign; I visited their previous location near Ross-on-Wye and there was clearly no reason to change it. However, at the end of ApriI my suit finally arrived - not perfect but pretty good. I then spoke to Peter a couple of times - he was very plausible and persuasive and I stupidly believed his story that all the problems were behind them, or wanted to believe more like, because the suits were great. So in the middle of May I placed an order for two more and parted with £1,660, which probably meant that some lucky bugger who paid for his suit before Christmas got his order completed! Charitable donation? Caveat emptor.

I suppose I'm really more angry with myself than with Peter, though I'm pretty angry with him too and he should certainly never be allowed near any kind of business again. To me the weasel words in his email make matters worse. How dare he blame "the banks" or "the government" (i.e. taxpayers) for failing to support badly run businesses indefinitely! For all the waffle about "serious discussions" and "strenuous efforts being made professionally" there is not a single real fact in the email. All of us who have paid for non-existent suits will just be unsecured creditors and in my experience any money left in a business like this will all go towards secured creditors, i.e months of unpaid VAT and PAYE. As for "in the meantime we would ask that you contact your order payment provider to issue you with a refund" the wretched man is in never-never land. I paid by Paypal and they do not cover custom-made items and in any case a claim has to be submitted within 45 days of payment. At least we should rejoice that banks and "payment providers" are not subsidising such loss-making businesses!

It was not worth 1,660 quid to write this, but it helps!

9. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

You did have to wonder about their pricing. They were selling English-made clothing made from fine British fabrics for appreciably less than what you would pay a second-tier Hong Kong tailor for similar product. Admittedly. their stuff was fused, but still....

11. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Their stuff was half-canvassed, and their business lasted around 10 years, I think (at least). That's a long time to be as badly managed as some people here say. The truth is probably more complex than anyone here can attest to with their rumours and innuendo.

1 person likes this.
  12. meister

meister Senior member

That is a worry in itself. Pity as Peter was a nice guy from the contact I have had with him through his second hand eBay site.

13. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I think this is very true. The stat here in the UK is that 80% of businesses started have failed before they get to 5 years, so they have to be have been doing something right and managing cash sensibly for the majority of that time and better than the vast majority of people who start a business. The recession here has killed a lot of good established businesses for any number of reasons. Swaine Aidney Brigg was in administration not too long ago which is as copper bottomed a brand as you can get...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  14. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I'm about 99% sure that Peter said in a thread on Ask Andy that they were fused.

15. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

He told me they were half-canvassed when I enquired some little time ago.

16. The Tall Englishman

The Tall Englishman Active Member

This is sad news as I ordered a pair of cords from Bookster last September and I have never received them. If it's any consolation Messkit, people who paid before christmas didn't get their order either. Maybe they should have stopped taking orders before they became a pyramid seller.

After a bit of digging I found Bookster's trouser supplier. They are a company called Elite Trousers and their contact details can be found at http://elitetrousers.co.uk/?page_id=7.

I spoke to a very helpful man called Stuart Sargent. He is obviously reeling from losing a fair bit of money from Booksters, however, he spent time trying to find my order but to no avail. Elite has never really dealt with the general public before. Their website is very (very) basic. Stuart did say that they would be trying to put together a website that the general public can use. Hopefully available soon.

I reordered my cords from them at a cost of £120 inc postage, so the prices are on par with Booksters. He quoted a a delivery time of two weeks which is so much quicker than Booksters. Thinking about it, every time I chased my order Bookster said it would be another two weeks before I get them. Coincidence?

tTE

17. Nimh

Nimh New Member

Much to my surprise I was refunded as of two days ago. Didn't see that comming. :)

18. rodaman

rodaman Senior member

What did you use to order? Credit card or paypal?

19. rodaman

rodaman Senior member

Please advise..I've been trying to get my refund for ages now.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  20. Nimh

Nimh New Member

I paid by credit card. Did my request for refund through the card issuer.