1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bookster bankrupt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kai, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Gee-al-Nujorki

Gee-al-Nujorki New Member

really distressing, had many pleasant and professional dealings with Peter and Michele over the years, vast & unique choice of fabrics, sound style & tailoring especially considering the price, more than a dozen tweed jackets and several moleskin trousers. With temps finally falling, I was just getting ready to order a double breasted tweed jacket when I came upon this. So now what is one to do ?

2. Isbister

Isbister Senior member

Some of their tailoring was done by Mears of Walsall. The Kings were never very open about who did their tailoring, but since their demise, various facts have emerged which reflect quite poorly on the Kings - although who knows what desperate turn of events precipitated their apparent decline?

I had a couple of sports jackets made by Bookster, then stumbled across Mears by chance, and they made me a hacking jacket. I was interested to find they were both quicker and rather cheaper than Bookster, yet the quality was the same - in fact so much the same that it occurred to me that they might be Bookster's real makers, but this long-held suspicion was only confirmed very recently. Bookster it seems was never much more than a well-functioning website and an order-taking operation with a 15% mark-up.

I would recommend you to at least make enquiries of Mears - Lynne Mears is most helpful, although the firm is apparently working flat out at the moment with the approach of the hunting season here. Incidentally, they have a rather greater choice of tweeds than is apparent from their website.

1 person likes this.
  3. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Senior member

If they are taking personal bankruptcy then they were trading as sole traders and therefore have personal liability and assets at risk.

If they were trading as a limited company then they will be in liquidation or receivership and only company owned assets can be liquidated to pay off creditors.

The official receiver will generally not be involved unless somebody (a creditor) has referred it or no other liquidator wants to get involved...(if it looks really dodgy basically).

HTH.

4. Gee-al-Nujorki

Gee-al-Nujorki New Member

Thanks again, I am saved. Ms. Mears very helpful, no-nonsense on the phone.

Next question, though : used to get quite a few moleskin trousers from Bookster, well cut, slim. Their purple and "loch blue" particularly striking with Tweeds but now tatty. Only loch blues ones I see on the net are Barbours, apparently jeans cut, a no-no for me. Any idea who supplied Booksters' ?

5. parkypoohs

parkypoohs New Member

I am given to understand that Bookster were supplied by a company called Mears Made-to-Measure, and that they provide pretty much all that you could get from Bookster.

Here is the link:http://bespokemears.co.uk/

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  6. GBR

GBR Senior member

This was established at the time Bookster closed as evidenced in this and other threads.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  7. Isbister

Isbister Senior member

Someone else on AAAC discovered that the following firm made trousers for Bookster: http://elitetrousers.co.uk/?page_id=6. Can't say whether they will still have your shade of blue, however.

8. sarge60

sarge60 New Member

Hi,
    just been brought to our notice that this is the place to let people know of our exsistence with regard to being the manufacturer of trousers breeks and waistcoats for Bookster. I noticed from your post that you were enquiring about getting trousers made. We are Elite Bespoke Tailoring Ltd and until there demise manufactured garments for Bookster (we also lost a lot of money with them)
    When they ceased to trade we were a company only dealing with other companies something we have been working hard to alter since July. We hope to have our website fully operational early in the new year. All this said we are still manufacturing and we need to find a way to let people know that we hold several in house working patterns made for Bookster customers but have no way of contacting them to let them know as we only have a name. If we can be of help with your trousers please contact us at
    elitebespoke@outlook.com For your information we hold a stock of cloth including the purple and loch blue moleskin.

9. Isbister

Isbister Senior member

It appears that Bookster have quietly re-entered the on-line market, now trading from Leeds:

www.bookster.co.uk

I'm not sure how they have managed to side-step their apparent bankruptcy at the end of last year, or whether their unsatisfied customers ever received any form of recompense, but have read elsewhere that the company is under new ownership, yet with the continued 'assistance' of Peter and Michelle King.

10. rodaman

rodaman Senior member

Just received an email from bookster re: their holiday promo. Guess they're back but I'll never get my vest or my money back.

11. clothes_horse

clothes_horse Member

I have been receiving numerous emails from Bookster trying to get me to purchase additional items with them. To my surprise it is the same couple who stole my money
    Peter King and his wife. Apparently they claim the business was sold but whoever supposedly bought the business put the same people back in charge. This company is nothing
    but a scam. I sent them money for a jacket I never received..Please post if they stole your money also........

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

It's not that uncommon fpr a bankrupted company to be revived under different ownership. who may have bought the company as a whole, or just some of the assets (the trademarks, for example.) It's also not that uncommon for there to be an "earn out" by the old owners written into the contract. Whether or not its a good idea to have that old owner continue to be the face of the company is another matter altogether, of course.

13. GBR

GBR Senior member

Not uncommon for the previous owners to buy the business back the day after it was p[laced into administration - 'pre-pack' administration as it is known. They get the assets but leave the debts behind.

14. clothes_horse

clothes_horse Member

Interesting responses, hopefully your feed back is genuine and you are not the Peter King or his wife posing as posters. The internet provides people the ability to disappear today and come back as another person tomorrow. I sent in my order to Bookster as did many others and based
    on the comments on the web they took in thousands of dollars with no intent of delivery. I waited over six months to receive my order and made multiple calls to the number provide without a email or response. The questions that need to be answered is how many other business have they had where they collected money and did not deliver.

I was on their mailing list and to my surprise I started to receive emails requesting that I order from them again. After sending a very polite email I received a response from Peter King acting as though he was part of the new ownership teams and telling me he would give me a discount for the problems I had in the past with the previous owners but the prices for the cloths have gone up 40%. I guess he forgot a email he posted on another site explaining the closing please see his comments below:

"We were not a Limited Company so are not benefiting from that sort of protection and will not miraculously re appear under another name as many businesses seem to. All monies paid will not be reimbursed.
    Strenuous efforts are still being made professionally to save the business but we have no way of knowing if anything will come from this so in the meanwhile we have both filed for personal bankruptcy. We do not own property etc, every penny we had was invested in Bookster.
    Further information will be sent to you as soon as possible. NOTE all previous contact email addresses are no longer being used. The only contact address is now booksterclosure@live.co.uk which is forwarded to our house in the South of France.

Peter & Michele King."

This was posted late last year on askandyaboutclothes.com, ( please review the site for entire text) The Kings are nothing more than modern day thief's ( think of the scams emails you get from people claiming to be Nigerian Kings and ones where you win a million dollars only if you send them $614.57 cents )

I appreciate your thoughtful response but you are making excuses for these criminals. I want to make sure others are not taken by this couple...

15. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

^What ever the Kings may be, they are certainly not criminals. They dealt very honorably with me, and probably didn't make a penny off our business transaction. Having a business tank does not make one a criminal!

16. clothes_horse

clothes_horse Member

Check the definition, and then ask the hundred of other people they swindled. The people who get in early on a Ponzi scheme always
    say they were treated fairly.....

fraudĀ·uĀ·lent

adjective

obtained, done by, or involving deception, especially criminal deception.
    unjustifiably claiming or being credited with particular accomplishments or qualities.
    synonyms: dishonest, cheating, swindling, corrupt, criminal, illegal, unlawful, illicit; More

17. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

As I best I recall. Bookster had been in business for about 10 years and had many satisfied customers. I actually got my overcoat from them not too long before they went bankrupt. I would hardly say I "got in early on a Ponzi scheme."

18. clothes_horse

clothes_horse Member

Guess you never heard of Bernard Madoff in business for 30 years.........he had many satisfied customers also.....

19. GBR

GBR Senior member

Just poor business people and nothing more.

20. Skanstull

Skanstull Well-Known Member

How is this any different from a normal bankruptcy? Or do you consider all bankruptcies criminal?