1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bookster bankrupt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kai, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Kai

Kai Distinguished Member

Just received an email from Bookster stating that they are bankrupt and are closing their doors.

Also, they don't intend to refund the money I sent them for a suit.

For those who don't know of Bookster, they are a well known English purveyor of tweed clothing and cloth.

Web site here:

http://www.tweed-jacket.com/

2. add911_11

add911_11 Distinguished Member

thats really sad news. I brought my uniforms from there.

3. Wolfram

Wolfram New Member

Got the same email. I had been waiting for a pair of trousers since late January. I almost forgot about that. But last week(!) I asked and got the answer that the order would be on its way within the next two weeks. Not funny.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013

4. aravenel

aravenel Distinguished Member

Very sad news indeed.

5. GBR

GBR Distinguished Member

Uniforms for what? I was not aware that they made uniforms.

6. steverooney

steverooney New Member

i found this forum as i was also let down by bookster but i have found the manufacturer www.bespokemears.com, spoke to a lovely lady lynne mears who has been really helpful and they are trying to help me although i wont get my money back i will get my jacket!!!

7. gdrgdr

gdrgdr New Member

many thanks Steve Rooney,

i have just contacted Mears and they could not of been more helpfull, i have to take it on the chin that i have lost my money via BACS payment to Bookster,, but hopefully i can get my suit from Mears , as in the past i have had a few suits from Bookster without any hassle and a quality product, but in saying that it seems that Bookster are not tailors but they simply advertise suits and get them made buy a third party. So i assume that the third party Mears have lost out big time also to the bankrupt Bookster like us all...

8. steverooney

steverooney New Member

no problem gdrgdr, yes you are right have been taken for a ride, like us all, feel very sorry for them, as they seem such nice people
    will definitely be buying through them

9. wellwellwell

wellwellwell New Member

I managed to get my money back just in time but wil not be getting the suit I ordered 4 months ago for my wedding on 27th July. In fact, getting any suit at all in time will be quite an ask...

10. nohit

nohit Active Member

Thanks for the info, Steve. I got my money back in December on a couple waistcoats after a long runaround with Bookster. I'd been relatively pleased with my few orders with them over the past few years. Assuming the fire story they gave me is true, it's a shame they couldn't pull through, but I'm glad to hear about Mears.

11. aklj05

aklj05 New Member

So are you saying that Mears has been doing the tailoring for Bookster??

I had an overcoat and pair of trousers being made by Bookster!

12. steverooney

steverooney New Member

yes thats correct, give them a ring, although they havent got your money they might have your suit!!!

13. P-K-L

P-K-L Distinguished Member

I find it strange that so many 1-post-people pop up all of a sudden in order to bash Bookster...

14. aravenel

aravenel Distinguished Member

Meh, in this case I think it makes sense. People googling around about the Bookster bankruptcy and find these threads. Were it just random bitching, I'd definitely think something fishy was going on.

What I don't understand is people thinking they should get their money back. It's a bankruptcy, they *have no money*. Further, you are an unsecured creditor--you go *all the way* to the back of the line. That's how bankruptcy works. Sucks, but that's life.

Anyways, I'm glad folks are able to get their stuff from the tailor--that's about the best possible outcome here. Perhaps they can even ask the tailor to finish the clothes for them for a fee.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013

15. Balfour

Balfour Senior Member

^ or lurkers prompted to post.