• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Books on body language

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First up, I hate self help books and am doing this reluctantly on the advice of a superior at work.

With that in mind, does anyone have any good recomendations for books on Body language and/or other 'soft skills' in the work place. Some things are obvious (dont cross arms, maintain eye contact etc) but am willing to read a whole book on the subject in the hope i will pick up a few other gems.

Recomendations?

grit

Reaction score
I thought the definitive book of body language was an enjoyable read

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"You Say More than You Think" is the one I have. It's pretty useful, their examples make me realize how closed off my body language usually is. I now do some simple things like avoiding touching my face, avoiding putting my hands all the way into my pockets, and maintaining an open posture when talking to someone.

Anyone have any other tips or recommendations?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
First up, I hate self help books and am doing this reluctantly on the advice of a superior at work.

With that in mind, does anyone have any good recomendations for books on Body language and/or other 'soft skills' in the work place. Some things are obvious (dont cross arms, maintain eye contact etc) but am willing to read a whole book on the subject in the hope i will pick up a few other gems.

Recomendations?

The biggest favour you can do for yourself is to videotape yourself giving a presentation or joining a meeting. Then ask that boss to go over it with you. If you really want results, get a coach.

For books...there is some good interesting here: http://www.amazon.com/Put-Your-Best-...9041777&sr=1-1

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Learning to read body language can be quite useful. Your problems may come from the fact that most books are about reading other people rather than correcting your own clusters.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aditionally I've built up a library of about 14 digital books on body language. If someone can direct me to a way to host a Zip file I would be hapy to share them with the forum.

If this breaks any rules then let me know.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
Aditionally I've built up a library of about 14 digital books on body language. If someone can direct me to a way to host a Zip file I would be hapy to share them with the forum.

If this breaks any rules then let me know.

try dropbox, or wetransfer.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found Manwatching: The Field Guide to Human Behavior to be a real treasure trove and a breeze to read.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Manwatching!

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't cross your arms, don't stick your hands in your pocket. Smile and appear cheerful. Make eye contact. Give a solid handshake. Hide your bonar.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Don't cross your arms, don't stick your hands in your pocket. Smile and appear cheerful. Make eye contact. Give a solid handshake. Hide your bonar.

laugh.gif
/thread

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to be honest my problem is when i am discussing something technical and i need to rack my brain for some detail i usually look away from the person i am talking to as i find them distracting to my remembering process.

this in turn makes me seem untrustworthy as im always breaking eye contact and looking away right as i introduce new points.

anyway, i dont think a book will help me on this but i am slightly interested in the topic now so ill pick one or two of the recommendations up

cheers

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I started some Allan Pease body language book a while back and found it way too basic. In fact, Jodum's post above pretty much covered in a sentence what that entire book said. As such, not recommended.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads