1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Booking round trip vs separate flights

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by js4design, Jan 22, 2013.

1. js4design

js4design Senior member

I'm booking a flight for a bachelor party in April, and with 3 upcoming weddings as a groomsmen (and bachelor parties) and my own wedding (which we are paying for) all happening this spring, I'm looking to save money wherever I can. I'm considering booking my initial flight (a Thursday flight) from VA to Las Vegas on one airline and my return flight (a Sunday flight) on another airline. I've checked all the discount roundtrip places, and these 2 flights will be $100 cheaper than a roundtrip through Expedia or any other discounter I've found. Are there any downsides to booking this way? Keep in mind that I do not travel frequently enough to worry about accumulating points.

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

It's a no brainer. Congratulations on putting together two one-way flights and saving money. It usually doesn't work that way.

3. Savile Row

Savile Row Well-Known Member

No.
    Take the difference you save and double-down with it at the tables... [​IMG]

The airlines do it all the time... at least USAirways does...
    I may not have as many "miles" as George Clooney's character is Up In The Air, but I can remember several occasions when either my depart or arrival flight was cancelled and USAir booked me (or offered to book me) on another carrier... not a sister or affiliated airline, but a competetitor.
    And, yes, I retained the full USAir "dividend miles".
    One time, 10+ years ago, they offered to pay for a train... which, may have been fine for European travel, but train travel down the US mid-Atlantic is suspect at best.

Happy hunting,

4. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

there's an article about this in today's WSJ

5. zippyh

zippyh Senior member