1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Book Recommendation Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by corneliusparky, Aug 25, 2011.

1. corneliusparky

corneliusparky Senior member

Some books really stick with you. I randomly will recall parts of each of these books. For me:

Ender's Game
    Ender's Shadow
    Kavalier and Clay
    The Door into Summer (Heinlein)
    The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles (strangely never finished, great in parts, SLOW in other parts)
    Norwegian Wood
    A Song of Ice and Fire (Books 1-3)

It'd also be cool to do a "If you liked this book, you might like....."

Also taking bets on what book will be the most mentioned (perhaps Enders Game?)

Which Asimov book would you recommend first up?

2. klewless

klewless Senior member

Great idea for a thread. I am a huge fan of Eurocrime, and just finished a pair that I can recommend without reservation:

Call me princess by Sara Blaedel
    Misterioso by Arne Dahl

3. ryanlvv

ryanlvv Well-Known Member

Some of my favorite books in no particular order:

Ender's Game (Have yet to read the others; my fiance has them all.)
    The Fountainhead
    Rum Diaries
    Foundation<---Asimov
    The Old Man and the Sea
    well anything by Hemingway
    The Stranger
    One Flew Over..
    Sputnik Sweethear

4. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

The Richest Man in Babylon should be required reading for all students whether they are studying business or not.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  5. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson
    The Diamond Age - Neal Stephenson
    The Periodic Table - Primo Levi
    The Killer Angels - Michael Shaara
    Little Big Man - Thomas Berger
    Presumed Innocent - Scott Turow

And a textbook, Understanding Poetry Fourth Edition- Brooks and Warren, A fantastic sampler which contains my favorite poem, Hardweed Path Going by A. R. Ammons. I recommend this book for someone who is interested in gaining a deeper appreciation for poetry.

6. darnelled

darnelled Senior member

Loved Cryptonomicon and also his^ Baroque Series.

If you want something comical, read almost anything by David Sedaris. Me talk Pretty One Day is my favorite so far.

7. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Just been reading this one...
    Chocolate Fortunes: The Battle for the Hearts, Minds, and Wallets of China's Consumers
    http://www.chocolatefortunes.net/

"Could there be a more intriguing East-meets-West story than one about the
    introduction of chocolate—that very symbol of Western indulgence—to legendarily
    austere China?

As China comes into its own as a world economic power, a new, huge consumer
    class is emerging, hungry for all things Western. In this land where twenty-five
    years ago most of the population had never tasted chocolate, five icons of Western
    business are now slugging it out in a battle royal to see which will become the
    Emperor of Chocolate in China."

Basically before the 1980s there was no chocolate in China. Favourite part is about how Cadbury tried to make chocolate bars in Beijing using their British methods with fresh milk. Problem was Chinese milk wasn't guaranteed to be particularly fresh at the time, no one really liked their Cadbury Dairy Milk bars tasting like cheese.

Even now in Xilinhot, there is only one foreign make of chocolate available here, Mars with Dove and Snickers bars, that's it. and they're quite expensive as well. But there's plenty packets of chicken feet though.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011