1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Book Party for Manton's "The Suit"

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mark Seitelman, May 7, 2006.

1. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

too many people wearing black suits for me. I had to leave early[​IMG]

As long as they bought a book.

Besides, if there was a black suit crowd there, manton would have had the last laugh as they would be wearing them properly - in the evening. [​IMG]

2. Lino

Lino Senior member

Here is my very breif description of events (I had to get going to work on a rush freelance project):

The Venanzi store is just off 5th on the West side, right by Bendel and Takashimaya. Venanzi's is quite nice, the exterior and interior are best described"”or as best as I can describe"”as regal, simple and elegant. On the way in, I was greeted by a number of people (friendly staff?). I now have the store on my to-do list for a return visit to learn more about what they offer.

After moving quickly towards the back of the sotre, I found where most of the people were assembled. In the back of the store and down about three steps is a room surrounded with shelves of bolts suiting of fabric. In the middle of the room is a large work table with a marble (?) top. All around the room (and all over the store) were well-dressed gentlemen chatting while enjoying wine and bubbly water. Everyone seemed quite at ease, I was very sorry for the fact that I had no time to meet anyone or find out who was who from this and the other forums. At the head of the work table "”or atleast the opposite end facing the enternce to the room was the man of honor signing books.

I thought I saw a line, but I was mistaken, it was fine gents chatting and perhaps meeting face-to-face for the first time. Realizing there was no line and seeing Manton without a book to sign I walked over and handed him my book (as I mentioned in an earlier post, I had intended to buy a book at the store, but when I thought I may not make it to the party, I pruchased one at B&N). Manton was dressed in a blue suit of a shade that really made him stand out from the crowd"”yes, even a crowd of such well dressed men. It was a little loud and I'm not one for small talk so I had my copy signed, said my thanks, and then headed out so i could work on my project.

Congrats to Manton.

I have not gotten too far in the book as of yet, but I can tell it is going to filling a lot of gaps for me on fine dressing.

As a graphic designer I can say the cover is wonderful (I would expect nothing less from Mucca, the studio that did it). The interior is nicely done as well too"”I think Jan Tschichold would approve. (FYI"”I'm as picky about design as Manton is about suits, so if I lost you, those are big complements from me for both the interior and cover the book).

OK, back to work for me.

3. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

Thank you, Gene Venanzi, our most gracious host and a lover of the decoratvie arts.

Thank you, Manton, the man behing Nicholas Antongiavanni, for writing a new classic, a new "Elements of Style."

Finally, thank you, one and all!

4. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

My thanks to Mark for organizing, to Gene Venanzi for hosting, and to all who came. Turnout certainly exceeded expectations. I know some of you came from a long way, and that meant a lot to me. I was pleased to see many old friends, and to meet well known "E-friends" in person for the first time.

Thank again for everyone's support and good wishes.

5. Matt

Matt Senior member

Manton, glad to hear it went well and hope the book is doing well.

So.....dare i ask for pics from the launch?

6. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Yes - we want photos!!!!

Just because the Malindi-moderators of another site are concerned that the photos might be copied and reproduced with "bad" captions is no reason to deny those of us who couldn't be in attendance the right to view images of the event.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Yes - we want photos!!!! Just because the Malindi-moderators of another site are concerned that the photos might be copied and reproduced with "bad" captions is no reason to deny those of us who couldn't be in attendance the right to view images of the event.
    Banning people because they ask for photos is a bit extreme: I will not look kindly on the member(s) who cause me to lock this thread by continuing this line of inflamatory, baiting posts. Therefore, rather than lock this thread I will just ban such members. I hope this is clear.

8. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Banning people because they ask for photos is a bit extreme:
    Of course, as a vocal member of the site in question you have no bias in this matter[​IMG]

9. mussel

mussel Senior member

10. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Despite the fact that I may find myself banned from the trad for doing this, that is such a great (albeit incredibly heavy-handed) quote from the Malindae, that I must use it as my signature!

11. YoungFogey

YoungFogey Senior member

The Malindae heavy-handed? Surely you jest?

I went to the launch, and it was quite a nice affair. Everyone was dressed very well -- some more comfortably than others. I was there for about an hour... did I miss speeches?

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Of course, as a vocal member of the site in question you have no bias in this matter[​IMG]
    Bias or no bias, the Malinda stance taken is no carefree gesture.

13. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

So, who was best-dressed?[​IMG]

14. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

So, who was best-dressed?[​IMG]

It wasn't me. I had spent the day fighting with a new air conditioner and a computer with a virus. I was hot and sweaty. My brown houndstooth check linen suit was a bit rumpled.

Most of the men were very well dressed. Manton looked quite sharp. I would give him best dressed award, and not because it was his party.

Carl

www.cego.com

15. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

I vote for Rafael.

16. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I have to say something that I found very interesting about the meeting. there were a lot of great suits, shirts and ties there. several of the men were wearing fantastic ties, many from Chuck, in rich colors and patterns and thick fabrics. there was a peak lapel single breasted window pane suit, there were any number of lapel pins, there were some fantastic brown shoes.

thinking back, I cannot remmeber exactly what Manton was wearing - he was wearing a very nicely fitting suit, in a lightish shade of blue, SB, with a simple pattern silk tie. he looked extremly well put together, and comfortable, but not at all flashy. I would say that there were 10 men in the room that I would have turned my head to look at, if I saw them on the streets, because they had one or more articles of clothing that I would like to have, or that I found interesting. I would not have noticed any specific item that Manton was wearing, I would just have considered him an exceptionally well put together gentleman.

I found that to be very admirable, and would be very happy to achieve this, myself.

17. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

I hope someone will post their photos - it would be nice to see what everyone looks like and what they were wearing.

18. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I didn't see any cameras so I'm not sure that many pictures were taken.

19. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I didn't see any cameras so I'm not sure that many pictures were taken.

I know of at least two shooters that were in attendance.