Book on Alexander the Great?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by cronicmole, Jun 16, 2011.

1. cronicmole

cronicmole Senior member

Hey, can anyone recommend me a book about him, from all accounts seems like he was the greatest war mastermind of all time...I'd like to hear his story.

2. ANIKETOS

ANIKETOS Senior member

There are many , last one i read was by Peter Greene. Definately one of the most interesting warriors.

3. marc237

marc237 Senior member

A lot of the "history" is revisionist. One of the better histories written closest to the time of Alexander and well translated is the Landmark series "The Campaigns of Alexander".

4. Vashin

Vashin Senior member

Marc is correct, the winner writes the history...

I read Alexander and his empire which is less about his tactics and more about how he managed his empire... the writer was also a Achaemenid historian so it was interesting to see his perspective as well. It's not as exciting as the other books more focused on tactics and strategies though.

5. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

Why bother with the books? Just watch the Oliver Stone movie [​IMG]

6. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Why not go to the principal sources--Arrian, Plutarch and Quintus Curtius Rufus? Paperback editions of all three should be readily available. Modern works on Alexander will mostly just be interpreting and fluffing out what is contained in those books.

7. marc237

marc237 Senior member

Why not go to the principal sources--Arrian, Plutarch and Quintus Curtius Rufus? Paperback editions of all three should be readily available. Modern works on Alexander will mostly just be interpreting and fluffing out what is contained in those books.

The Landmark book I recommended is a modern translation of Arrian. Nicely annotated. Over all, I find the Landmark series to be very well done, but not so much fun on a Kindle.