• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

book of wines

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm just starting out in the world of wines. in addition to my wine friends suggested purchases, can anyone recommend me a good book to start reading about them?

Lucky7

Reaction score
Hey Stick,

Feel free to PM me....I'm a wine fanatic, and can recommend some things to get you started. - Lucky

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by goodlife
Great Wine Made Simple by Andrea Immer

http://books.google.com/books?id=Jrw...inauthor:Immer

+1. I've recommended that book to several people who wanted to "get into" wine. It gives you a basic vocabulary and will allow you to go to out and eat with a fairly high chance of ordering a wine you are going to like. She writes very well while introducing you to the lingo/jargon needed to talk about wine.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for that suggestion. if anyone has a copy of that book they're willing to let go, i'd be interested xD

otherwise it looks like i'll be investing plenty of money in wines and winebooks instead of clothes in the near future!

lucky7, thanks for the offer! definitely expect some PM's in the near future. piobaire, your name came up for nearly all the wine threads, so i'm hoping to PM you as well! =)

JBG

Reaction score
"Oldman's Guide to Outsmarting Wine" was my first book on wine. Each chapter can be read independently. It is a great introductory book on wine.

"The Wine Bible" by Karen MacNeil is a wonderful reference if you have more than a passing interest in wine.

Droog

Reaction score
I do wine education now and then and also recommend Wine for Dummies.

Ronald

Reaction score
It's always good to know something about vine. At least the very basics. For good friends I like to order wine gifts for special occasions like birthdays for example. Knowing what's in the basket is very important if you do that.

cuffthis

Reaction score
The Oxford Companion to Wine by Jancis Robinson.

No wino's library should be without one.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I have taken many in depth wine classes and I have a small library of wine books.

For starters, Wine for Dummies, no doubt. Great intro to wine, the best I've seen.

Oldman's book is solid, but I think it could be organized better. And the "my favorites" list is useless since I don't think one should pigeon hole themselves into finding only certain wines. but it's an easy read and good for picking up and wanting to read 1-2 pages on a certain region or wine.

when you get more into it, i suggest:
World Atlas of Wine - not something I read cover to cover, but something I look at to supplement other books...
Like Vino Italiano - incredible book on Italian wine, which has been my thing for quite some time.
The wine bible - great resource an covers many topics
Oxford Companion - literary canon of wine

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I just recently bought Exploring Wine: The Culinary Institute of America's Complete Guide to Wines of the World. Pricey at $65.00, but it has been really great for what I've read so far.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I've never taken any wine courses. I need to think about doing that.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I've never taken any wine courses. I need to think about doing that.

I think Horns mentioned on here somewhere that his wife was taking her Master Sommelier course very soon. A lucky, lucky man.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics